South LPNF on fire and likely done for the season.

After watching the news for a little bit after getting off work, it looks like Frazier Mountain is on file. I'd expect that part of the forest to close. The question is for how long. Any trails in the burned zone may be closed for up to three years.

Weathergeek's place is close, but as far as I can tell not threatened at this time.

Last report I read Hungry Valley in big trouble... but LPNF had 7 tankers dropping pre fire retardant... and not yet burned.
I'm not so sure. The various satellite fire mapping tools show the fire half way up to the top and some video about 30 min ago sure looked like a retardant drop just above the bench on the East Frazier trail.

Here is the update from my perspective. Started a mile west of the fwy on Frazier Mtn Park rd. (main rd.) coming up from the fwy. Burned south from there, nearly taking out the high school. Then down thru upper Hungry Valley, the grasslands, East Frazier, Tejon, Condor Mesa, Powerline Rd. It is burning past East Frazier and up to near the top of the ridge aboe the fwy. I can't tell whether or not it has gotten to Whatta, but if it hasn't it is close. The winds are supposed to howl later up there to. What Carl says is right. This burned area will remained closed at least for this year and would not be surprised if they close most or all of the forest. The f**king forest service always kneejerks everytime this happens. As for me, my house is not threatened as we are 8-10 miles from the fire and it is burning south taking out more of Hungry Valley. Uggh.:banghead::thumbsdown: By far the worst fire I have seen in the 23+ years of living up here as. Worse than the Day fire even, which only skirted the edges.

I'm fairly confident that the trails in question will reopen. That doesn't mean that nothing bad will happen.

Hungry valley has wanted to close off access to the forest for at least 10 years. They may get their chance now. They contend that OHV park uses access the park through these trails to avoid paying. What they don't get is that way more people pay to get into Hungry Valley and then only ride in the park to get to the LPNF trails. I've probably done that 100 times. I've never parked outside Hungry Valley and rode to it through the forest. I think it's probably cheaper to pay the $5 to park than it is to burn the gas to go to Chuchupate.

The other issue will only happen after it reopens. The trees will be gone and there may be a lot of off trail riding. That could force LPNF to close the whole mountain.

Travace, was that riding near your home actually designated legal trail, or did people just ride it with no or little threat of a hassle?

Yep what he said. Fire still burning, just south of ignition point. Mt. Pinos ranger district was one of the most rider friendly areas in the state. Let's hope that this continues.

I'm fairly confident that the trails in question will reopen. That doesn't mean that nothing bad will happen.

Hungry valley has wanted to close off access to the forest for at least 10 years. They may get their chance now. They contend that OHV park uses access the park through these trails to avoid paying. What they don't get is that way more people pay to get into Hungry Valley and then only ride in the park to get to the LPNF trails. I've probably done that 100 times. I've never parked outside Hungry Valley and rode to it through the forest. I think it's probably cheaper to pay the $5 to park than it is to burn the gas to go to Chuchupate.

The other issue will only happen after it reopens. The trees will be gone and there may be a lot of off trail riding. That could force LPNF to close the whole mountain.

Travace, was that riding near your home actually designated legal trail, or did people just ride it with no or little threat of a hassle?
it was a legal area. they had boundary for it. now granted it wasnt a huge area but it was there. back then i only rode mt bikes so i was able to go everywhere. we would try to ride the MX track someone had made out there but it was too rough for mt bikes.

As of late yesterday afternoon, fire not nearly as active but is punking around up high on the south side of Frazier Mountain, I'm thinking in the vicinity of Miller Jeep trail, Snowy, Piru, Arrastra and Whatta, etc. This is gonna burn for a while I think while the forest service dicks around with it. When you guys come up to ride however, there is still stuff up here I can take you to. :banana: