All LPNF IS OPEN, finally! LETS RIDE IT on Sunday May 29th

There is still water flowing up in SBNF (lower elevation) so Halfmoon sounds promising. What about Cottonwood? That appears to to be higher than Halfmoon, and near a creek as well? Is the 127 considered to be Miller Jeep Trail as well? Or does MJT not start until the 128 crosses?

Chuchupate campground is looking like a great central hub, and right bellow Frazier. I have heard Frazier mtn. is a blast to ride. But damn, that paved road is going to bring the people in! although the weekend AFTER 4th of july might be dead????

Are you allowed to camp anywhere in LPNF? Or designated campgrounds only?

maybe this is where ill end up on the 9th and 10th. Would my kid and wife have any easy stuff to ride? fireroads... really easy trails?

maybe this is where ill end up on the 9th and 10th. Would my kid and wife have any easy stuff to ride? fireroads... really easy trails?
:thumb: Would be awesome if you can make it Trav!

Not certain about easy stuff to ride, but I am sure some of these LPNF vets will chime in.

There are two fireroads leading out of the campsite. One goes to the top and back down part way, and one goes around the 'front' to meet the first road.
They are not smooth, but they are easy.

There are two fireroads leading out of the campsite. One goes to the top and back down part way, and one goes around the 'front' to meet the first road.
They are not smooth, but they are easy.

nice. anyone have a google map link to this campsite? ill show my wife later tonight and get the plans set in motion.

i am plated so no worry's for my anymore. So i will be there for Saturday and Sunday, my family might not make it but regardless i should be there. Who all is gonna be there next weekend?

Chuchupate campground.. Los Padres

We spent June 24-26 at Chuchupate campground as krannie identified earlier. It was nice. not crowded, not too hot, and felt good at night. down to about 45 degrees. No wind. We picked out a spot up at the top under a bunch of trees. it was perfect for our group, as I had a popup trailer, for the wife, two grandkids and myself. my daughter her husband and inlaw stayed in a tent, and my other in-law and niece stayed in a tent on an adjacent spot. We were going to go to halfmoon, however, the road to halfmoon is closed, and the rangers stated it may be august before it opens. I brought the wife up there a few days before for a recon and to view the campground, and to get her buyoff.

Even though there was no water. we had bugs swarming around for about 1 hour each day. the entire three day trip was quiet and relaxing.

I had a great time, but it would of been funner if I wasn't injured and could of rode. I really felt the urge when the guys came up, roosted me, and rode that saturday.

Picture video from my camera.. http://vimeo.com/25720698
Picture video from my wifes camera.. http://vimeo.com/25723782
Slideshow of our pics.. http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/... campground - Los Padres/?albumview=slideshow

i am plated so no worry's for my anymore. So i will be there for Saturday and Sunday, my family might not make it but regardless i should be there. Who all is gonna be there next weekend?
I'll be there +1, maybe +3 (2 of them always flake last minute).

cool look for my truck, ford F150 with a big ass DBA sticker in the window :P

my plans are to show up around 8 or 9 am on saturday morning.

ohh and the family is able to make it :rocker:

Exactly what I want NO PART OF.:smirk: Too old, fat and oft injured. That said there are plenty of fun trails with smaller cliff issues but basically not that bad as Sun said. As a matter of fact there are plenty with little or no cliff issues.:banana:

Ok so it isnt a "sheer" cliff. But would you want to go off Tejon or Frazier in some spots? Not me!

BTW...I have noticed when I ride in the hot summer up there and start on Frazier by the time I am to the top of those switch backs I have sucked down half my water:rant: I think when it is really hot going up on Tejon is smarter. You conserve your water better and it is a better trail to warm up on. Yes, I know going up Frazier is fun for the most part:smirk: Just be ready to work a little and :prof:make sure you have plenty of water. I have rode a couple of times with people who ran out of water up there and they were in bad shape. When the weather is nice it is a whole different story and not so much a problem. It is so stupid we cant ride down the road on Gold Hill. It would make loops so much better! Sometimes on weekdays it is better:devil:

Ok so it isnt a "sheer" cliff. But would you want to go off Tejon or Frazier in some spots? Not me!

BTW...I have noticed when I ride in the hot summer up there and start on Frazier by the time I am to the top of those switch backs I have sucked down half my water:rant: I think when it is really hot going up on Tejon is smarter. You conserve your water better and it is a better trail to warm up on. Yes, I know going up Frazier is fun for the most part:smirk: Just be ready to work a little and :prof:make sure you have plenty of water. I have rode a couple of times with people who ran out of water up there and they were in bad shape. When the weather is nice it is a whole different story and not so much a problem. It is so stupid we cant ride down the road on Gold Hill. It would make loops so much better! Sometimes on weekdays it is better:devil:
East Frazier is tough on the body and the bike when it is hot. I like starting from the other side when it is hot. But this weekend will be cooler, probably only no warmer than low to mid 80's.

East Frazier is tough on the body and the bike when it is hot. I like starting from the other side when it is hot. But this weekend will be cooler, probably only no warmer than low to mid 80's.

I've never been to any of this area, lets say I were to go with a buddy that had a punishing agenda for me on some Saturday. I figure that there will be no eateries so BYOS, but is it a loop place where we won't see the trucks for the day, or will, errrrr, would we be looping back to camp once or twice?

I've never been to any of this area, lets say I were to go with a buddy that had a punishing agenda for me on some Saturday. I figure that there will be no eateries so BYOS, but is it a loop place where we won't see the trucks for the day, or will, errrrr, would we be looping back to camp once or twice?

Excellent question...I was wondering the same thing if "I" were to do a similar ride..........:thinking:.........:popcorn:

:lol:No punishing agenda here from me my friend.:shocked: Basically the deal is eat good before, snack on the ride as you probably will not see the truck for 4-5 hours. Water and hydrating before will be VERY important. The elevation takes a lot out of you as it is dry AND hot relatively speaking.:prof: Elevations range from 4500' to as high as 8000'. Just sayin...

:lol:No punishing agenda here from me my friend.:shocked: Basically the deal is eat good before, snack on the ride as you probably will not see the truck for 4-5 hours. Water and hydrating before will be VERY important. The elevation takes a lot out of you as it is dry AND hot relatively speaking.:prof: Elevations range from 4500' to as high as 8000'. Just sayin...
I wonder if a certain stand rider were to show up after pounding Rockstars all day, would he have a hydration issue on this said adventure:thinking: