Los Angeles Guy here trying to buy first bike!

Helmets, certifications and DOT vs Snell get into some technical areas. Like rez mentioned, sometimes I don't quite know how to read the marketing material.

There are a few things that I do know. The DOT rating is done on the honor system. To get the Snell sticker they have have the helmets actually tested. Now I don't imaging that many DOT rated helmets are not tested, but who knows for sure. With Snell it's either tested or the sticker is counterfeited. There are plenty of Snell helmets in the low price range.

The Snell test is a bit higher energy than the DOT standard, but either will still protect your head.

Unless really highly discounted you will not see a $50 helmet with a Snell rating. The testing costs $$$ and there is no margin for it with that $50 helmet. When you look at normal margins that $50 helmet is really a $15 helmet.

Helmets, certifications and DOT vs Snell get into some technical areas. Like rez mentioned, sometimes I don't quite know how to read the marketing material.

There are a few things that I do know. The DOT rating is done on the honor system. To get the Snell sticker they have have the helmets actually tested. Now I don't imaging that many DOT rated helmets are not tested, but who knows for sure. With Snell it's either tested or the sticker is counterfeited. There are plenty of Snell helmets in the low price range.

The Snell test is a bit higher energy than the DOT standard, but either will still protect your head.

Unless really highly discounted you will not see a $50 helmet with a Snell rating. The testing costs $$$ and there is no margin for it with that $50 helmet. When you look at normal margins that $50 helmet is really a $15 helmet.
I have bought two helmets that were new but still on the shelf and had been there for a year ot two for less than $65.00 in the last 2 years from cycle gear that were DOT rated.

James

Staff member
I have bought two helmets that were new but still on the shelf and had been there for a year ot two for less than $65.00 in the last 2 years from cycle gear that were DOT rated.
But are they Snell certified? That's what Carl was referring to.

I always fit helmets in the shop then order online. Currently like how the fox helmets fit, and for my fox v2(normal$200) for $70(DOT and Snell). Helmets will protect you as well as the ratings, but with more $, you will get more features, nicer finish, and a longer lasting lid (until it hits the ground on the 1st ride)

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!! I'll probably check out cycle gear and I'll definitly have to see if I can snag a bargain off those sites!

Don't remember as I haven't looked at it in a while. But I remember asking when I bought it, asking how much it was when new and was told in the $250 range, so I am thinking yes.

I always fit helmets in the shop then order online. Currently like how the fox helmets fit, and for my fox v2(normal$200) for $70(DOT and Snell). Helmets will protect you as well as the ratings, but with more $, you will get more features, nicer finish, and a longer lasting lid (until it hits the ground on the 1st ride)
Not to mention much lighter for more squish.