Long races

First and second what?
1st and 2nd place during the race. if you are constantly defending your lines or trying to pick a line to pass, you are expending more energy as you are riding for a longer period of time with a higher heeart rate. That could deplete your energy quicker so you aren't riding at a level that expels your energy in the amount of time required to complete the race as you would if you didn't have someone on your ass.

my "point" if you will, isn't that desert is harder than MX, I've raced both, if you do both correctly you will be tired. My point, is the idea that somehow desert/off road is easy is false.

Last edited:
my "point" if you will, isn't that desert is harder than MX, I've raced both, if you do both correctly you will be tired. My point, is the idea that somehow desert/off road is easy

I honestly think I could run 4-5 hrs easy in a dez race.... then I realize I'm not 19 anymore and start to remember that these days I lead races for the 1st half lap and then quickly fade to 7th...

I honestly think I could run 4-5 hrs easy in a dez race.... then I realize I'm not 19 anymore and start to remember that these days I lead races for the 1st half lap and then quickly fade to 7th...
I've seen mx dudes try desert, they do well! however their first couple times they push entirely too hard and don't quite grasp that sometimes you have to go slower to be smoother, thus faster

James

Staff member
my "point" if you will, isn't that desert is harder than MX, I've raced both, if you do both correctly you will be tired. My point, is the idea that somehow desert/off road is easy is false.
Don't recall ever saying or implying that (except maybe in a sarcastic way).

I've seen mx dudes try desert, they do well! however their first couple times they push entirely too hard and don't quite grasp that sometimes you have to go slower to be smoother, thus faster
Exactly what I said in a previous post. :thumb:

To be a successful racer you need a few things:
  • A high level of skill
  • A particular mental deficit where you don't care about your personal safety. Actually it's got to be brain damage where you have no fear neurons left.
  • Excellent aerobic an anaerobic conditioning
Damn I fail on all three.

I need to go to work Monday morning so I'm not the most risk taking rider. It's amazing how much faster I can be when just go for it and hope for the best. I always run into the aerobic conditioning limit almost every time I'm on the bike. On any kind of longer ride it's my speed governor.

To be a successful racer you need a few things:
  • A high level of skill
  • A particular mental deficit where you don't care about your personal safety. Actually it's got to be brain damage where you have no fear neurons left.
  • Excellent aerobic an anaerobic conditioning
Damn I fail on all three.

I need to go to work Monday morning so I'm not the most risk taking rider. It's amazing how much faster I can be when just go for it and hope for the best. I always run into the aerobic conditioning limit almost every time I'm on the bike. On any kind of longer ride it's my speed governor.
I checked all 3 boxes when I was a younger lad....