Locking Up A Dirt Bike

James

Staff member
What kind of locks do you guys use or don't you lock up your bike? I was just thinking about this, what would I do if somebody stole my bike. (Besides commit suicide:P) I would be pretty damn pissed, sure I have insurance that covers it, but it's like somebody kidnapping your wife/GF. :foul: Any "cheapish" ideas. FYI I have nothing to anchor to, so it would have to only be on the bike.

:thinking: I could rig the shotty to the door and if you don't remember to duck :headgetsblowoff:, but there's other people that also need to get into the garage. :smirk:

Just get a cable that has a combo lock. Run it through the frame and too a wheel. Unless they pick it up it aint going anywhere. I have a chain and padlock that stays on the trailer for leaving bikes at camp or something. I will also be installing a kill switch that is hidden for when I leave the bike on the trail while hunting or something since Yamahas won't put a key on them.

I have a wireless alarm in the shed. I have two slide bolts that go up into the header of the door opening and down in the floor where I have a sheet of steal screwed into the floor. the two slides come together and get locked by a very heavy duty lock.

I got the wireless remote control alarm system at Wal_mart. not monotored but man does it make a high pitched sound that will have dogs for miles howling not to mention hurt you own ears. I don't know if it would help but the second you open the door it beeps and you have 30 seconds to disarm or it cuts loose.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Q-See-QSDL506W-Home-Security-Alarm-System/14264899?findingMethod=rr

If someone really wants it they will get it.

I know a guy who locked his bike to itself with a cable lock and four guys just tossed it into the back of a truck and took off. Locking it to something is a good addition. The main thing locking is good for is the crime of opportunity.

I know a guy who locked his bike to itself with a cable lock and four guys just tossed it into the back of a truck and took off. Locking it to something is a good addition. The main thing locking is good for is the crime of opportunity.

i dont care what kind of lock you have... its really easy to bust a lock... some freon and a hammer and its done. So yea what you say is true... if they really want it they will get it.

Locks only keep honest people out:prof:. I still use them as a deterrent and I have a loud-arse alarm in my garage. I had some loser thugs take my frick'n door off my garage to get at my stuff. :foul: I'm lucky I didnt catch them or I would be doing time in the Grey Wall Hotel.

James

Staff member
its really easy to bust a lock... some freon and a hammer and its done.
:thinking: You sure about that? Mythbusters tried it once and came up with the conclusion that no commercially available product can do that.

Locks only keep honest people out:prof:. I still use them as a deterrent
:thumb: I realize that if somebody REALLY wanted to take it they will, however why make it easy for them? Why do you lock your house doors at night? If somebody really wants to get in they will, but locking it keeps them from just walking right in.

:thinking:
:thumb: I realize that if somebody REALLY wanted to take it they will, however why make it easy for them? Why do you lock your house doors at night? If somebody really wants to get in they will, but locking it keeps them from just walking right in.

I agree 100%. Most thefts are an spur of the moment immediate opportunity thing. A bad guy happens on an unlocked bike, jumps on, and takes off. Others are a bike left at the same place unlocked and a bad guy notices and gets it one day. The last is the pro theif and they can't easily be stopped. Thankfully there are not too many of those, but they are out there.

One time a friend stopped at my place with his bike locked in his pickup bed with a highe end really thick cable lock. Before we left to ride he realized that he did not have his key. After thinking about a method for a few minutes it only took about five minutes more to free the bike. With the proper tools it was pretty easy to defeat the lock.