Lawn mowers

I know I'm not the only one here that is old enough to own their own lawn and actually mow it themselves. That said my mowers both took a shit this week and I need a new one.

What have you got and how much do you hate it?

Troy-Bilt 21" front wheel drive lawn mower. 675 series Briggs & Stratton 190cc motor.
Easy pull start, fires up on the first pull and with the front wheel drive, it runs through the lawn with no problem.

Lowes carries them.

As a small engine mechanic here is my view,

Push mowers:
Honda is best
A Briggs with a decently built deck will hold up pretty well too

Riders:
Personally i hate anything that isen't hydrostatic drive, but a belt driven tractor on a smaller lawn will do just fine. again Honda motors are the best but a briggs and kawasaki will last a long time too if you just keep on maintenance

Zero turns:
Stay away from any zero turns that are MTD as they put shitty pumps/drivegears in there machines and if you happen to get one with the ezt500 pump your looking at dropping 2k+ on a machine that will last 300 hours. As far as zero turns go, Exmark is the best.

I have no problem with my lower end mowers though because although i do have to do some work to them every year they always start and have had no major issues. I do wish i had a nice zero-turn everytime i get on that dumb uncomfortable 46" mtd and have to mow for 6-8 hours a week

I know I'm not the only one here that is old enough to own their own lawn and actually mow it themselves. That said my mowers both took a shit this week and I need a new one.

What have you got and how much do you hate it?

Define "took a shit" ?

If it just will not start it can be made to run. Kind of depends on what kind of mower. The basic little gas powered mower is pretty easy to get going again. Those little engines generally last pretty long. Now if it's rusted away or poked a rod out the case then it's a different matter and it's new mower time.

James

Staff member
I have a little 21" Honda that I've been pretty happy with. :thumb:

Like the others said, need to know what size you're looking for.

I do miss the landlord's mower I had when I was renting. An industrial 60" zero turn (Dixon), you could mow some serious lawn with it. :drool:

KTM, what else? :smirk:

We run a Troy-Bilt 20hp with a bagger. It's worked good so far at climbing these hills. It will slip a lot though...we might have to put some knobbies on that mower. :lol:

I just got done killing a Honda powered craftsman. It was only 4 years old and now makes no compression. I tipped it up on its side yesterday and it locked up completely. The old Toro rider that was given to me because it wouldn't start also seized on me yesterday. It did a Shitty job but it ran fine. I had already used it three times this year and I have seen zero evidence of a leak.

A 21 inch push mower is fine for my yard.

I had a Honda 21 inch that I bought around 17 years ago. It had the cast aluminum deck and ran like a top all those years right up to the day I sold it to the neighbors gardener for $175. Nobody makes a mower like the old Hondas, in fact they almost put themselves out of business because the mowers they were producing back then never needed replacing. Commercial Hondas are close to this quality but they cost around $900 or more. I got tired of mowing and now have no lawn front or back. :thumb:

Toro - 21" rear wheel drive turn key ignition...... :banana:

Now - Why I hate it.....
1) My son lost the charger cable so I can't charge the battery so no mo turn key ignition :cry: - couple hundie's to replace it :foul:
2) The gears are gone so the rear wheel drive is now rear end push :faint:- replacing that is also in the $2-3 hundy range:foul:

A nice sit down mower is in my future... :smirk: