KX250, Beginner bike?

I'm 14 5'7" and about 130 Pounds I'm looking to buy a dirt bike and I only have very little experience on bikes but I have ridden an ATV for a couple of hours in the past. I was wondering if buying a KX250 would be a better than buying a KX125 another reason why is because the one I'm looking at runs well and is only $1200. Would it be better to get this bike now and learn on a big bike or buy a 125 2 Stroke and learn on that?

P.S I do intend on racing once I have more experience

welcome to DBA Harry :wave: Fellow Brit 'ish here
BUY THE 125 or as suggested try a 150 or 230 four stroke to learn on, after only a couple of hours on an atv you defo are NOT experienced enough to jump on a kx250 2t and not be heading straight for A+E! And costly repair bills for your bike at best!
Do you have any family or mates that ride 2 or 4 stroke dirtbikes? Have you asked their opinion?:noidea:

Thanks for the replies guys, if all goes well I'll have a KX250 and be a new member of the dirt bike community!

If all goes well for your sake the 250 turns out to be a dog and the 125 comes a callin! ( a wee bit less of a handful to a newbie rider )
Are the bikes on gumtree or EBay or from someone you know?
Whatever you end up viewing make sure you take someone who knows mx and especially 2 stroke bikes with you!
And as there is likely no paperwork for the bikes in question as we don't have a pink slip or title slip for mx bikes of this age please check both frame (headstock) and engine (left casing under gear peg) serial numbers, any abuse on either walk away!
Without receipts proving work done you can assume it hasn't had half the stuff they say it's had done to it!
Sorry for being negative on the 250 but I along with your folks would worry about you or any other new rider getting on a kx250:crash::doh:

welcome to DBA Harry :wave: Fellow Brit 'ish here
BUY THE 125 or as suggested try a 150 or 230 four stroke to learn on, after only a couple of hours on an atv you defo are NOT experienced enough to jump on a kx250 2t and not be heading straight for A+E! And costly repair bills for your bike at best!
Do you have any family or mates that ride 2 or 4 stroke dirtbikes? Have you asked their opinion?:noidea:

If all goes well for your sake the 250 turns out to be a dog and the 125 comes a callin! ( a wee bit less of a handful to a newbie rider )
Are the bikes on gumtree or EBay or from someone you know?
Whatever you end up viewing make sure you take someone who knows mx and especially 2 stroke bikes with you!
And as there is likely no paperwork for the bikes in question as we don't have a pink slip or title slip for mx bikes of this age please check both frame (headstock) and engine (left casing under gear peg) serial numbers, any abuse on either walk away!
Without receipts proving work done you can assume it hasn't had half the stuff they say it's had done to it!
Sorry for being negative on the 250 but I along with your folks would worry about you or any other new rider getting on a kx250:crash::doh:
Yeah, actually a few family members ride, the reason I'm getting into it so late is because I do autograss and spent most time getting good at driving before riding (Which also means I know how to use a clutch etc. because I heard it's similar). The guy I'm buying off is a family friend and does mx so it's a well looked after bike (I think he's selling it to get the rest of the money he needs for his new bike). I get that the KX250 isn't the ideal starter bike but I'm sure after a lot of falls and loop outs I'd be a better rider than I would be if I started on a 125 then it would be even more learning when I go up to the 250. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

Yeah, actually a few family members ride, the reason I'm getting into it so late is because I do autograss and spent most time getting good at driving before riding (Which also means I know how to use a clutch etc. because I heard it's similar). The guy I'm buying off is a family friend and does mx so it's a well looked after bike (I think he's selling it to get the rest of the money he needs for his new bike). I get that the KX250 isn't the ideal starter bike but I'm sure after a lot of falls and loop outs I'd be a better rider than I would be if I started on a 125 then it would be even more learning when I go up to the 250. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!
That's ideal you have a Motorsport background! Good understanding of how it all works /runs revs and stops!
What do you auto grass? Please tell me it's a wee flying pug or similar??? I'm a bit addicted to pug 306's!
Hell your probs ready for a 250 but I would still strongly advise getting something a bit less potent for your first bike

Last edited:
That's ideal you have a Motorsport background! Good understanding of how it all works /runs revs and stops!
What do you auto grass? Please tell me it's a wee flying pug or similar??? I'm a bit addicted to pug 306's!
Hell your probs ready for a 250 but I would still strongly advise getting something a bit less potent for your first bike
A micra lol, I stopped autograss not so long ago though, I've always wanted to do mx instead but went for autograss instead as I felt more comfortable on 4 wheels. Now that I have confidence in going fast (Ish, it was only a micra) and know how to use a clutch etc. I want to dedicate my time to practicing how to ride and start mx! (Well that's the plan anyway)

Go ride your family members bikes but be careful as two wheels are a different world from 4 on our terrain and mud baths, as soon as you give a 250 2T a twist here the grass goes then 3 inch of mud then grip wheelie oops, ask your family!!! Before you ride their bikes:smirk:
Where abouts do you come from?

Go ride your family members bikes but be careful as two wheels are a different world from 4 on our terrain and mud baths, as soon as you give a 250 2T a twist here the grass goes then 3 inch of mud then grip wheelie oops, ask your family!!! Before you ride their bikes:smirk:
Where abouts do you come from?
Wales, plenty of places to ride up here that's for sure. Also, is there a way I can change my gender on my profile? I accidentally chose female lol

Great mx site with plenty helpful members so if you have any Q just ask somewhere, pics are always welcome,
Wouldn't mind a go in a Micra autograss car, Japanese quality shipped here and we stuck the badges on!

Great mx site with plenty helpful members so if you have any Q just ask somewhere, pics are always welcome,
Wouldn't mind a go in a Micra autograss car, Japanese quality shipped here and we stuck the badges on!
Haha, yeah they're plenty of fun! If I do have any dirt bike related questions I'll be sure to ask DBA!

I know man, the Welsh are killing it. I guess it's just easy to find places to practice down here, there's 2 mx tracks near me that's only a 20 min drive away. Plus there's a bunch of forests, open fields, hills there's even a bunch of sand dunes down here