KX250, Beginner bike?

I'm 14 5'7" and about 130 Pounds I'm looking to buy a dirt bike and I only have very little experience on bikes but I have ridden an ATV for a couple of hours in the past. I was wondering if buying a KX250 would be a better than buying a KX125 another reason why is because the one I'm looking at runs well and is only $1200. Would it be better to get this bike now and learn on a big bike or buy a 125 2 Stroke and learn on that?

P.S I do intend on racing once I have more experience

I'm 14 5'7" and about 130 Pounds I'm looking to buy a dirt bike and I only have very little experience on bikes but I have ridden an ATV for a couple of hours in the past. I was wondering if buying a KX250 would be a better than buying a KX125 another reason why is because the one I'm looking at runs well and is only $1200. Would it be better to get this bike now and learn on a big bike or buy a 125 2 Stroke and learn on that?

P.S I do intend on racing once I have more experience

I'm probably gonna get over ruled on this one, but my personal opinion is that would be a great beginner bike, first reason is, a 250 has more torque than a 125, you can ride a gear higher or so and have manageable power for a beginner, and you can grow into the power the bike has in it's mid range as you learn. Secondly it is an inexpensive and relatively simple bike to maintain, it wont break the bank as a 4 stroke might.

what year we talking about? if it is in good condition and 1200 may be a killer price

I'm probably gonna get over ruled on this one, but my personal opinion is that would be a great beginner bike, first reason is, a 250 has more torque than a 125, you can ride a gear higher or so and have manageable power for a beginner, and you can grow into the power the bike has in it's mid range as you learn. Secondly it is an inexpensive and relatively simple bike to maintain, it wont break the bank as a 4 stroke might.

what year we talking about? if it is in good condition and 1200 may be a killer price
$_86 (1).JPG $_86 (2).JPG

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 5
Get it.
I'd say if you don't know the level of power you're supposed to have then you won't know any different. There's going to be a learning curve either way. years ago me and a buddy both bought bikes and were relative beginners I had ridden before but only slow(ish) four strokes. I got a kx250 and he got an rm125. After a season of riding he said hey let me check out your bike, and I said ok I'll ride yours. When we traded back he said holy crap! this is what you ride?! Too much power holy crap. I said the opposite -dude how do you ride this weak piece of junk? there's no power! So it's all in what you get used to.

I just bought a ttr 230 with no experience and the power was easy to handle (barely any) and had no problems with it getting away from me. Only dropped it once so far. You should be able to handle the 250

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Those two bikes are very different despite the similarity in cc's

Whether "you can handle it" or not
remains in question. The respect demanded by a 250 two stroke will be lesson #1
Oh I didn't realize it was 2 stroke. Oops.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

That bike would sell for 1600-1800 here. I've ridden the '99 and think pretty sure it's the same bike, motor and suspension wise, that one makes good manageable power all thru its range.
94-98' are the same body style and 99'-02' was the next body style. The 98' have the strongest KX motor as far as bottom end and alot of race shops actually try to mimic the porting on the 98's. The FMF fatty for this age of KX250's is also an exact copy of the 98' stock pipe and I can verify this with pics and plug pulls from jetting (to show that no change in jetting was needed). The 98's have good forks in my opinion and the 46mm KYB's were used all the way until 02'. Overall i'd get it and just change out the front sprocket to tame it down a good bit. They're good bikes and a lowering link makes these bikes handle really well in my opinion as a woods and track bike.

94-98' are the same body style and 99'-02' was the next body style. The 98' have the strongest KX motor as far as bottom end and alot of race shops actually try to mimic the porting on the 98's. The FMF fatty for this age of KX250's is also an exact copy of the 98' stock pipe and I can verify this with pics and plug pulls from jetting (to show that no change in jetting was needed). The 98's have good forks in my opinion and the 46mm KYB's were used all the way until 02'. Overall i'd get it and just change out the front sprocket to tame it down a good bit. They're good bikes and a lowering link makes these bikes handle really well in my opinion as a woods and track bike.

Not really a Kawi guy here, even though I have two in my garage. Good info there Dylan.