85 Kx 85 help needed asap!!

Id worry more about the mechanical stuff first. Get her in good running order first. Then worry about cosmetics. I personally dont mess with graphics kits. Your first good crash will just ruin them. Looking good is important but if it dont run good you only have a pretty piece junk.

First of all Lenny welcome :cheers: Your problem sounds pretty easy to trouble-shoot. So, stay calm. That's a great, and easy bike to learn on. I always used to tell my Son, "eliminate the easiest problems first". Nine times out of ten it's the little crap that cause the problems. Sounds like you have a carb/jetting issue. These guys ^^^^ are good. Ask away, we're here to help :thumb:

Yeah i know mate am gng to run few test change plug get my friend to change oils and check jets ect, only got the bike to learn the basic i am 15.5 stone so hopefully i'am not to big for the bike its a nice hight for me anyway

You are way to heavy for that bike. 15.5 Stone=217lbs. But....... if your wanting to just learn how ride, like learning to use a clutch and basic bike handling it will be OK. And just barely at that. Really you need something much larger in power to accommodate your weight. Otherwise you will be very disappointed with the bikes performance. How tall are you if I may ask. Im 5'6" and weigh 210 lbs. And I personally would feel like a circus clown riding an 85. Granted I have many years of riding experience. I ride a 250 two stroke. Way more power than I really need but I have never used all of it either. It may be worth your while to invest in a larger bike. Based on your weight even a 125 would be really to small but better than the 85. I would even consider a 250F (four stroke engine). Still a bit small in the power rating but the overall size of the bike will be better for you. And the power will be better. You could go with a 250 two stroke bike. Yes it has heaps more power and will likely scare you. But remember. Just because you have all that power doesnt mean you have to use all of it. Eventually you will get to a point where you will want more power or even need it. The 250F or 250 two stroke will provide that for you when your ready. Where the 85 will only leave you wanting.

Bare in mind this is only my opinion (my 2 pence worth). But Others will agree with me, purely because your a full size person, like me. Should you choose to get a larger bike I recommend sooner than later. It will benefit you better in the long run.

Last edited:
Am 5ft 10 mate i know the power issue plan was learn it get the feel of the gears ect and then trade it for a 125 ect, think i will need to adjust the suspension?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I think the biggest problem you will have is the bars to pegs distance. It's designed for young kids.

But the power on the other hand, I am not worried about. It is unbelievable for an 85cc engine. Like a vicious light switch... It'll put you on your ass EASY.
Ride it until you are ready to ride standing up, then you'll see where a larger bike will benefit you. -BIG DAN:thumb:

OK. This is my advice to you. Sell the 85 ASAP. You need a bigger bike. Even to learn on, you need the bigger bike in size and power. Sure you could put heavier springs on the shock and forks of the 85. But the riding position is all wrong for you. You need a full size bike. Even if you learn the basics on the 85 and move to the 125. Your going to find the power on the 125 better than the 85 but still lacking. Especially once youve been riding for a while. Bite the bullet and get at a minimum at 250 four stroke. I strongly recommend the 250 two stroke. purely based upon your height and weight. And yes you can learn how to ride on the bigger bike. You only add the amount of power that you need. The demand for more power will come sooner than you think.

No one even asked what his intentions were with the bike. Are you learning?
He stated that he is learning. But he is learning on a bike that is designed for a 10 or 12 year old. Not a full size adult. He can do what he wants. But he is asking for help and opinions. Im giving him my opinion.

I will have to agree with Smoke here. My son that is about to turn 14yo next month has just moved up to a full size bike and he ain't even 140lb soaking wet. He is about 5'8 though and on our last outing on his YZ85, it was such a pain in the ass for him. His knees was hitting the bars. He had a hard time trying to control the bike. The ergos are just way off. Not designed for a person that tall to ride effectively. Let alone learn on.

That being said, you can learn out to work a clutch, learn how to ride a field, learn how fast those bikes can hurt you. :crash: :ride: