KTM?

Guys:
@TurtleShifter
@ossagp
@Rack
@2strokesteve89
@jackson409
This is a KTM thread! Stop THE :BS: (4 pages) and stay on TOPIC! Why do you guys have to come in and ALWAYS take a thread way off Topic? :prof: Bunch of meanies, bullies, smarty pants. OK, where were we? Oh....

I had a 200 series MB and it was the biggest pile of crap.
I have and had air cooled VW 56 bug and still have 69 Westi, as long as you stay up on them like your bike they will give you over 125,000 miles per motor.
Toyota.... over 300,000 on a 76, and 79 pickup truck, 200,000 on an 82. I still own 5 from 96 up and one 09 Scion XD (34 mpg).:banana:
Subaru fixed the head problem and they are considered the Japanese "Volvo".
Wrenching on cars like Steve, hell yesterday I are a mechanic, today I can't spell that... (I know it goes the other way) I don't work on anything but my VW. Have a Master mechanic at Toyota that does all my work.

I have done quite a few suburb head gaskets, but none that I can remember for coolant into the cylinder or overheating, they were all for external oil leaks from the oil return galleys between the head and block. However one guy in the shop did do one for overheating problems this week. I've heard that it i has been a big problem, over the years, but like I said...nothing I've worked on. One cool story bout suby's is a customer brought one in years ago on the hook, drove thru a deep puddle and it quit was the complaint....Brought it in and the block was split open....seems it ingested a lot of water, hydra locked and the forces on the crank against the block was too much.

Oh yeah......just to keep the KTM thread alive, here's a euro car.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
How is it that only Honda can build such a reliable car compared to the other manufacturers? One would think that the BMW and Mercedes should have the reputation of a Honda. :noidea:

I keep wondering why we buy the other ones more than why they can't build them. Lol. And why engineers are so attracted to them!!!

I have done quite a few suburb head gaskets, but none that I can remember for coolant into the cylinder or overheating, they were all for external oil leaks from the oil return galleys between the head and block. However one guy in the shop did do one for overheating problems this week. I've heard that it i has been a big problem, over the years, but like I said...nothing I've worked on. One cool story bout suby's is a customer brought one in years ago on the hook, drove thru a deep puddle and it quit was the complaint....Brought it in and the block was split open....seems it ingested a lot of water, hydra locked and the forces on the crank against the block was too much.

Oh yeah......just to keep the KTM thread alive, here's a euro car.....

View attachment 24274

One of my friends who cut his teeth at Continental made a better living swapping motors out overnight on the side than he did his daytime job. He would ring them. Put in new rod bearings and deck the heads. They were good to go until the head gaskets gave out again. Rings gummed on the carbureted ones that drive off cold and didn't get adequate oil changes.

One of my friends who cut his teeth at Continental made a better living swapping motors out overnight on the side than he did his daytime job. He would ring them. Put in new rod bearings and deck the heads. They were good to go until the head
gaskets gave out again. Rings gummed on the carbureted
ones that drive off cold and didn't get adequate oil
changes.

Hav'nt seen a carburated suburu in years. On the old 1.6 and 1.8 litre they did, but I'd say they went to efi cross the board in late 80's once they got the rust under control, they became good cars.

Guys:
@TurtleShifter
@ossagp
@Rack
@2strokesteve89
@jackson409
This is a KTM thread! Stop THE :BS: (4 pages) and stay on TOPIC! Why do you guys have to come in and ALWAYS take a thread way off Topic? :prof: Bunch of meanies, bullies, smarty pants. OK, where were we? Oh....

I have and had air cooled VW 56 bug and still have 69 Westi, as long as you stay up on them like your bike they will give you over 125,000 miles per motor.
Toyota.... over 300,000 on a 76, and 79 pickup truck, 200,000 on an 82. I still own 5 from 96 up and one 09 Scion XD (34 mpg).:banana:
Wrenching on cars like Steve, hell yesterday I are a mechanic, today I can't spell that... (I know it goes the other way) I don't work on anything but my VW. Have a Master mechanic at Toyota that does all my work.

Keep believing that head gasket rumor. Comparing one to a Volvo for reliability will not just get you laughed at haha, howled at is more likely. (Volvo owners like the other euro car owners all get to know their service providers and they see them often). Sub 's idea of fixing a leaky head gasket has included Alumaseal per their approved method in their warranty manual at one time. Excellent driving car. GrNieces 2012 has been in for it's coolant guzzling wAys.

Last edited:
Hav'nt seen a carburated suburu in years. On the old 1.6 and 1.8 litre they did, but I'd say they went to efi cross the board in late 80's once they got the rust under control, they became good cars.

So I have a good memory. I see lots of them that rust sooner than their competition does as well. I first looked at them in San Luis Obispo in 1972. Anyone else remember inboard brakes?

Last edited:
Guys:
@TurtleShifter
@ossagp
@Rack
@2strokesteve89
@jackson409

:wave::finger::wave:

Keep believing that head gasket rumor. Comparing one to a Volvo for reliability will not just get you laughed at haha, howled at is more likely. (Volvo owners like the other euro car owners all get to know their service providers and they see them often). Sub 's idea of fixing a leaky head gasket has included Alumaseal per their approved method in their warranty manual at one time. Excellent driving car. GrNieces 2012 has been in for it's coolant guzzling wAys.

Yup......just talk to Bruce at arctic import service, always busy over there, particularly with euro stuff.

Bought my wife an outback in 2013, comfe car for sure. Verdict still out if it's a Japanese Volvo. My brother the Volvo finatic called it that. Finatic, yah... He drove all the way to Texas in his coupe for a meet and took 2nd place.