KTM 65 Cool, Scary and Dead!

Here are a couple pictures of the bike and my son waiting to ride it again(Before we toasted it).

LjBirthday074.jpg

LjBirthday052.jpg

LjBirthday149.jpg

haha thanks. Actually after tearing down the 2 stroke I'm starting to wonder why I have never messed with one they are so simple.:thinking:

:devil: shhhhh!! don't tell anyone about this,,This will be our little secrete.

Oh and that is a sharp looking little scooter. Get pics of the rebuild, we like rebuilds threads :smirk:

So we need a crank kit, crank bearings, top end, and anything else? I have never split a case do I need to find someone with a case splitter or is there another way?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Entire engine gasket set.
i split cases with a rubber mallet and patience. make sure it splits evenly. Patience.
-BIG DAN

haha, yeah your first rebuild of any bike will be expensive but once you have the tools the next time(trust me there will be a next time) it will be a hole lot better on your wallet.:thumb:

you might want to check your local dealer and or auto stores that rent tools, do trial and error as well. See what you can get done with what you have. Then if you run into something buy or rent. I have a brother that is a fork lift mechanic and rebuilds boat motors on the side so he has all the tools I would ever need. Maybe you know someone that has these tools as well.

SRAD97750

Staff member
See how far you can get without special tools. Sometimes engines just fall apart in your hands. Sometimes they are welded together... Good luck. -BIG DAN

Facebook rocks! I shouted out to my friends I was tearing this down and one of the local guys that races told me to come over tonight he was tearing a KTM105 apart and he said I could see how to do it, then if I needed any help on the 65sx he could give me a hand.:banana:

See how far you can get without special tools. Sometimes engines just fall apart in your hands. Sometimes they are welded together... Good luck. -BIG DAN

I agree with Dan. The only thing you might have to buy is a flywheel puller. When I did my 65, just like Dan said, everything just fell apart.

Well guys a Hot Rods crank, crank bearings, Wisco Piston, Complete Gasket Kit, I'm sitting at $280.76. I have to check my piston size tonight before I can order it all cause I can't remember what it said on it but if its the 47mm it was only another $6 or something. I can't wait to get home and tear into it! :banana:

Well I helped tear down the KTM105 last night. Its cake. I'm tearing down the 65 and getting parts coming. The 105 didn't need anything but a flywheel puller so I'm crossing my fingers mine doesn't either. I will start a new thread that covers the tear down.:thumb: