KTM 65 Cool, Scary and Dead!

Well guys the KTM 65 was a hit. He pulled some wheelies running up and down the street. Scared him and his mom. We went out and took it for a spin and we had been riding about an hour he was getting better with shifting but kept running in first and rapping the hell out of it. Well not understanding gears he shifted to 2nd when he should have been in first and it bogged down and died. Never to start again. I brought it home and checked the plug it looked fouled so I changed and still no poop. Has spark and fuel so I figured maybe he just did it in. Tore it down and will be posting some videos so you guys can tell me what is normal. I'm afraid we need a crank but I could be wrong. Guys have any other ideas that I need to check on? (I don't understand reed or power valves or nothing. Do I need to look at them?

Thanks
Bryce R

what were you mixing the oil at?

Small bikes held WFO for long periods of time ESPECIALLY with low oil ratios kill em.

The rod bearings are a weak spot on those scooters. But on the bright side, they are very easy to wrench on, and like Big Dan says, crank bearings wouldn't hurt, but for sure do all the seals. :thumb:

need more info;
it turns over?
tries to start?
spark at plug?
gas flows/breathes?

When my Son fried his, everything was good, gas, spark, compression (no gauge, pinky only), and spun over, but it wouldn't start. The bottm rod bearing had come apart, and either it was creating enough drag, or probably wasn't getting enough compression due to the slack in the rod.:noidea: Stock cranks are fairly cheap, but if you can, get a rebuildable one, so when...errr....if it happens again, it'll be cheaper in the long run. :thumb:

Ebay is filled with which ever way you decide to go.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...3&_nkw=ktm+65+crank&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thanks guys. I pulled everything apart and we lost the rod bearings. The rod moves up and down 1/8" at least. Its also purple from heat. I'm ordering a hotrod crank. What do you guys recommend for a piston?

Haha never even got to put new fuel in. I had 40:1 to put in it.

Ok, so for future two stroke reference never, never trust what the person you got it from had in it. Always drain and put new gas in it. With the gas having to be mixed you don't know what they have in it. I have heard of people putting straight fuel no premix and bamm. Oops I forgot or grabbed the wrong can etc. ya just never know.:prof:

Ok, so for future two stroke reference never, never trust what the person you got it from had in it. Always drain and put new gas in it. With the gas having to be mixed you don't know what they have in it. I have heard of people putting straight fuel no premix and bamm. Oops I forgot or grabbed the wrong can etc. ya just never know.:prof:

haha thanks. Actually after tearing down the 2 stroke I'm starting to wonder why I have never messed with one they are so simple.:thinking: