Other KLX 650R No-start

Repeat as necessary ... when I had to jet&set the float on a tmx i did it so many times I could have the carb out of the bike while the silencer was still smokin

A friend to motors everywhere used to say he was going to put zippers on things like that, or at least he said that until he started using velcro.

I think at this point the question is why is it jumping teeth on the cam gears/chain?
I knew the slap-back thing I mentioned awhile back wasn't right.

I thought I mentioned it, or used some other phrase earlier, to describe a condition that just didn't seem right to me. I thought I posted pics.
When I turn it over by hand, the pressure from the valve springs cause the cams to abruptly snap to closed position after over-center and the cam chains seem appear to loosen up and on the intake cam they look like they lift off the cam sprocket a bit. I think one of the pics I posted showed this, but maybe not, it's been a couple months now.

So now I am beginning to think that this is the problem with this bike. It would explain the other piston I have sitting in a crate with valve marks in it. Remember, it came with 2-3 boxes of extra parts.
But the tensioner appears to be new so I am wondering why it would be happening?
What else could it be?
Stretched cam chain? Wrong cam chain? Bad tensioner?

Before I had it running this past weekend, I made sure that the tensioner was as tight as it would get, and it ran pretty good and made good power. And that is what is confusing me.
I should probably start a new thread, since it is no longer a no-start situation.

I bought a used upper cam chain off eBay and am going to go and measure it tonight. I have suspected this since the beginning but never measured the chain thats in it because I didn't want to tear it down that far. Now that I have another I will measure it and see if it is in spec.
If it is, I may have to swap it, then measure the one in it.

Last edited:
chain and or tensioner would be my guess. fyi the only pic i could come up with for the KLX shows a centrifugal decompression starting aid just like my klr has. the load will go off of the chain on the cam as it cams over, that is normal, getting lots of slack is not normal. and that could cause it to jump timing and valves could easily contact the piston.