King Of the Hammers

Not dirt bike related...BUT, is anybody going to this event? It is truely a kick in the ass. If you're not familiar with it this is it in a nutshell. It is in Johnson Valley, Ca at Means Dry Lake...I heard they are expecting 60k+ people...this is only the 4th year they've held it. It has doubled in popularity each year.

Take a rock crawler and off road race car... modify them to handle high-speeds over whoops, sandwashes, etc. AND low speeds to crawl over numerous VW sized boulders...many of them, all this mixed for 100+ miles. Go to www.kingofthehammers.com to get more info. It is in February...DURING THE WEEK. Main race is on Friday Feb 11, pre-qualifying races previous days PLUS UTV races.

Never heard of this before. Looks like fun, but 60k+ people in the desert, sounds like a place I do not want to be. And at means dry lake, have they fixed that place. Last time I was out there, if you got off the path going in, you would get stuck. Plus the people who live by there where not so nice when cars would drive down their street by accident.

The entrance to Means has been graded nicely, and the wash crossings, are now concrete. It's probably the best access road into JV in my opinion. With that said, the property owners are still A**holes. Especially the one who stays at the old church, on the other side of 247. :smirk: I also hear some young hooligan knocked over the cross out front. Damn vandals, I would have just put a sticker on it. :busted:

All started by the Pirate crowd, only a few years ago it was just 13 drivers having fun.
If anyone watches Powerblock on Spike TV, Ian from Extreme 4X4 is part of the Pirate crew, and covers the race on his show.
I have never seen it live, but from watching it on TV, it is un friggin believeable watching those guys. Buggys that do 100+ MPH on the flatlands, then go up and down washes that I would have a hard time hiking on foot.

Never heard of this before. Looks like fun, but 60k+ people in the desert, sounds like a place I do not want to be. And at means dry lake, have they fixed that place. Last time I was out there, if you got off the path going in, you would get stuck. Plus the people who live by there where not so nice when cars would drive down their street by accident.

We were out here last year after it rained...what a mess BUT, they managed to keep things in line. Overlooking the area it was a sea of white from all the RV's, they called it "hamer Town"...as for the ZOO, yea, if you went to the real popular locations like the actual "hammers" Jack, Sledge, Claw". Other than that it was wide open. As for the residents and people going down the wrong road...that must be the one ranch that if you don't turn and take Boone to the highway you wind up at this guys ranch. We'll be out there again this year. kind of nice, we stay at the rez and drive across the highway to the event. I'm going out Thursday PM, my buddies going out Tuesday...race is on Friday, we come home Sat.

All started by the Pirate crowd, only a few years ago it was just 13 drivers having fun.
If anyone watches Powerblock on Spike TV, Ian from Extreme 4X4 is part of the Pirate crew, and covers the race on his show.
I have never seen it live, but from watching it on TV, it is un friggin believeable watching those guys. Buggys that do 100+ MPH on the flatlands, then go up and down washes that I would have a hard time hiking on foot.

Ian actually raced last year and barely made it to mile marker 31, which is where we happened to be...something came apart, they spent an hour looking for bolts, nuts, etc. we weren't allowed to help BUT, if we happened to find something "while walking around" we could point it out to them...:smirk:

Washes full of VW size boulders...AND 10' hi waterfalls to drop of...:shocked:

The entrance to Means has been graded nicely, and the wash crossings, are now concrete. It's probably the best access road into JV in my opinion. With that said, the property owners are still A**holes. Especially the one who stays at the old church, on the other side of 247. :smirk: I also hear some young hooligan knocked over the cross out front. Damn vandals, I would have just put a sticker on it. :busted:

:finger:.........:smirk:

If we don't get rain by then (if we do I'm off to Laughlin) I am going out there to ride and to meet a guy from Utah (ktmofmoab.com).....
Anyone else going?

If we don't get rain by then (if we do I'm off to Laughlin) I am going out there to ride and to meet a guy from Utah (ktmofmoab.com).....
Anyone else going?

naw, I think it's just you and me..........:shocked:.....not what I meant, from here, just you and me from here! :prof:

See what you've gone and done! :lol:

Leaving Thursday after work, picking up my daughter and we're outta heah.......My buddy and his 2 sons are going to be out there (my place...the REZ which is directly across 247) today to take in all the pre-race stuff and do some 4x4/crawling. Race time is Friday at 8:00 AM sharp! :ride:

I've always wanted to see those Hammers crawl the rocks in person. IF I go out there to ride Friday like Baja got me thinking about, then I could maybe spend the night and watch some of the event on Saturday. Where is the best place to spectate Rez? Hmmm...this could :thinking:work. Perhaps I could even talk my Hubby and Son into this one. My Daughter would have no interest in this. Go figure, MY Daughter. But maybe she'd go to take some pics. My wheels are turning now...in my head that is.

I've always wanted to see those Hammers crawl the rocks in person. IF I go out there to ride Friday like Baja got me thinking about, then I could maybe spend the night and watch some of the event on Saturday. Where is the best place to spectate Rez? Hmmm...this could :thinking:work. Perhaps I could even talk my Hubby and Son into this one. My Daughter would have no interest in this. Go figure, MY Daughter. But maybe she'd go to take some pics. My wheels are turning now...in my head that is.

Sorry to stop your wheels, but the actual race is Friday. :rant: