Kid's think Stupid is Smart

Here's another thought for you guys. Do you think techonlogy (which I love BTW) has hurt too? I mean ipods, cell phones, texting has allowed for more disconnect from their families and has given them too much freedom? Sun alluded above to the fact that she had to make due to have fun with what was available at the time and was happy to do so.
I lean both ways on this, as I too like the techy world. Having e-mail and texting has worked great for me now that I have two kids in another part of the world (Chile and Germany). My only communication with my son right now is an e-mail once a week, but I can text and call my daughter whenever I want in Germany (as time zone permit). But the kids of today do not play(hang) outside like we did. I found that I would get great face time with my son when we would go riding together. The ride out was spent talking about life and me asking him what he wants out of life. the ride home though was him catching flies and drooling on my window.:lol:
When I did have the whole family together on camp outings, whether it was riding or boating, we would play board games together and have some really good conversations. Being at home was another thing. With work schedules and my kids wrapped in sports all year, it was hard to keep the communication link open. I would try and take my girls out for a dad/daughter night just so we could have our own face time. Sometimes you have to shelf the Dad roll and let them talk like you are just their friend. That seemed to work with my girls for awhile, but as they got closer to Stupid (17) that did not work anymore.

I feel I did the best I could with them and would not change it if I had to go back and do it again. My son is now really understanding how and why we did or didn't let them do certain things or raised them the way we did now that he is on his own for these 2 years in Chile. He is in an area that is not as well off as he had it and can really appreciate what he had when growing up. My girls on the other hand......They are another story. It will take a serious act of hitting rock bottom before I think they will see that we weren't/aren't the worst parents....

James

Staff member
I found that I would get great face time with my son when we would go riding together. The ride out was spent talking about life and me asking him what he wants out of life. the ride home though was him catching flies and drooling on my window.:lol:
Did he like those talks as much as you, I know I didn't. :bonk: :smirk:
When I did have the whole family together on camp outings, whether it was riding or boating, we would play board games together and have some really good conversations.
:thumb:It seems in this day and age you almost have to take kids out of the "tech zone" to get their attention, me included. :smirk:
My girls on the other hand......They are another story. It will take a serious act of hitting rock bottom before I think they will see that we weren't/aren't the worst parents....
How old are they?

They might not "come around" until they have kids on their own, if even then. :noidea: I know that someday when I'll have kids I'll probably come to respect my parents even more.

Did he like those talks as much as you, I know I didn't. :bonk: :smirk:
My son would actually start them. They would start off slow by him asking where are we riding today, to then asking about racing and he start pinging me about my work. So that would open the floor to me asking about where he sees himself in the near future. I explained that it is something you should know, because you will get asked more than once, especially at a job interview. He would actually thank me for the talk and listening. They key I found is even if they are going off base and thinking they are going to attain all they have now as a kid (trucks, trailers, bikes, boats, etc) right when they hit the work force, you cannot pop their balloon and take that away, but say "that is awesome and as you know we have had some great times as family doing those things, but as you see I put in a lot of work to make these toys appear at the house so we can do that and it took some time to get there." And explain to not over extend himself in purchasing items and not being able to afford them later.

:thumb:It seems in this day and age you almost have to take kids out of the "tech zone" to get their attention, me included. :smirk:
:thumb: I think it keeps them some what grounded.

How old are they?

They might not "come around" until they have kids on their own, if even then. :noidea: I know that someday when I'll have kids I'll probably come to respect my parents even more.
21 & 23, I pray that when they have kids of their own they will come around, but we will see. The problem is they have made a few choices that they can't take back and can bite them when they become mother's or look for the right person to be their partner.

My son would actually start them. They would start off slow by him asking where are we riding today, to then asking about racing and he start pinging me about my work. So that would open the floor to me asking about where he sees himself in the near future. I explained that it is something you should know, because you will get asked more than once, especially at a job interview. He would actually thank me for the talk and listening. They key I found is even if they are going off base and thinking they are going to attain all they have now as a kid (trucks, trailers, bikes, boats, etc) right when they hit the work force, you cannot pop their balloon and take that away, but say "that is awesome and as you know we have had some great times as family doing those things, but as you see I put in a lot of work to make these toys appear at the house so we can do that and it took some time to get there." And explain to not over extend himself in purchasing items and not being able to afford them later.

21 & 23, I pray that when they have kids of their own they will come around, but we will see. The problem is they have made a few choices that they can't take back and can bite them when they become mother's or look for the right person to be their partner.

Don't tell me they sell Amway...:shocked:

[/B]

Don't tell me they sell Amway...:shocked:
I would settle for that...:smirk:

On a more serious note CDA, they'll come around.:thumb: Daughters always come back to their Dads. Hope it is sooner rather than later for ya.
My middle will get a reality check when she gets based out in Texas come November. The US is a far cry from Germany on what she can get away with. My oldest though has drawn that "line in the sand" and we will never have the relationship we use to have ever..:(

I know that you are not a big drinker, but the next time we camp, we are going to have to have a very instrospective conversation with a bit of tequila at least on my side.:prof::thumb: Thanks for sharing what you have. It is appreciated.:thumb:

I know that you are not a big drinker, but the next time we camp, we are going to have to have a very instrospective conversation with a bit of tequila at least on my side.:prof::thumb: Thanks for sharing what you have. It is appreciated.:thumb:
:thumb: Sometimes I almost fall back to my old days. If we camped before I had kids, let's just say some weekends, I don't know how I made it to the start line the next morning and rode the way I did.

Anyways Geekster, I'll pound some RedBull and you the Tequila and we will work out the plan the bury the kids together...:smirk:

:thumb: Sometimes I almost fall back to my old days. If we camped before I had kids, let's just say some weekends, I don't know how I made it to the start line the next morning and rode the way I did.

Anyways Geekster, I'll pound some RedBull and you the Tequila and we will work out the plan the bury the kids together...:smirk:

I was nagged about taking his F'n shot, until finally, I gave in. Fast foward to the next day, he hit me up again.:confused: It seems that he had a little too much, and didn't remember.:lol:

I was nagged about taking his F'n shot, until finally, I gave in. Fast foward to the next day, he hit me up again.:confused: It seems that he had a little too much, and didn't remember.:lol:
:lol: Aw yes, I remember those times well. The stories of my drunk and stupor days.