All Johnson Valley EIS

The Enviromental Impact Study for the marine base expansion into JV has been released. It seems that the original 5 proposals for expansion created too much negative impact, so a 6th has been introduced. In the new plan the marines would use the land for training 2 months out of the year and we would get it the rest. A new round of public comment sessions have been scheduled for next month. This link has more details: http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6722335/editorials/make-your-voice-heard-save-johnson-valley/index.html

Related newspaper article: http://www.pe.com/localnews/environment/stories/PE_News_Local_D_expansion26.23407cb.html

The Enviromental Impact Study for the marine base expansion into JV has been released. It seems that the original 5 proposals for expansion created too much negative impact, so a 6th has been introduced. In the new plan the marines would use the land for training 2 months out of the year and we would get it the rest. A new round of public comment sessions have been scheduled for next month. This link has more details: http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6722335/editorials/make-your-voice-heard-save-johnson-valley/index.html

Related newspaper article: http://www.pe.com/localnews/environment/stories/PE_News_Local_D_expansion26.23407cb.html

In order to ensure proper training and conditioning I vote they get to use the land in July & August :prof:

In order to ensure proper training and conditioning I vote they get to use the land in July & August :prof:

Sounds good to me too :thumb: The thing that I'm afraid of, though, is that once they do their live fire training, they will claim that there is unexploded ordnance left behind that couldn't be recovered. Due to public safety concerns (no, not that kind of safety:naughty:) the area will be closed permanently. Of course, they will still be able to use it. :foul:

Unlike others they are making these meetings doable. Show up and ask questions... raise your concerns... or don't bitch later !

Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Time: 5 to 9 p.m.
Bell Center Gym
6162 Rotary Way
Joshua Tree, Calif.

Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2011
901 W. Francis St.
Ontario, Calif.

Date: Thursday, April 14, 2011
Mirage/Sahara Conference Center
12603 Mariposa Road
Victorville, Calif.

Unlike others they are making these meetings doable. Show up and ask questions... raise your concerns... or don't bitch later !

Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Bell Center Gym
6162 Rotary Way
Joshua Tree, Calif.

Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2011
901 W. Francis St.
Ontario, Calif.

Date: Thursday, April 14, 2011
Mirage/Sahara Conference Center
12603 Mariposa Road
Victorville, Calif.

I've made myself a note to attend the Wed mtg in Ontario......

I just realized I may be in the Bay area on a biz trip...They told me it'd be mid Apr ...........:foul: hopefully it'll be the following week! If I am able to attend I probably won't be there until 5:30ish...can I assume LATE is better than not at all?

I am just curious if the military has ever taken a drive to Las Vegas or Lake Havasu and everything in between. There is nothing out there except thousands of acres of desert where nothing ever goes on. It seems to me that Johnson Valley is too close to civilization to be flying planes dropping bombs and having tanks out there shooting off canons. :rant:As Rack mentioned, if they must do it then they certainly need to do it in July and August so the elements are true to areas they are supposed to be training for.

I am just curious if the military has ever taken a drive to Las Vegas or Lake Havasu and everything in between. There is nothing out there except thousands of acres of desert where nothing ever goes on. It seems to me that Johnson Valley is too close to civilization to be flying planes dropping bombs and having tanks out there shooting off canons. :rant:As Rack mentioned, if they must do it then they certainly need to do it in July and August so the elements are true to areas they are supposed to be training for.

They do have meneuvers out in the North Barstow area, Ft Irwin I believe is who's doing it. I've seen them driving out in there vehicles...Why not combine the area with their bombin practice just make sure they schedule it right....:shocked:

I just realized I may be in the Bay area on a biz trip...They told me it'd be mid Apr ...........:foul: hopefully it'll be the following week! If I am able to attend I probably won't be there until 5:30ish...can I assume LATE is better than not at all?

If you can make it to give your comments to the nice lady, it would help. I'm sure it will be like last time, where they'll have maps, and the proposals, along with Marine personal answering any question you may have. They will also have paper to write your comments, but more important is to dictate your thoughts to the stenographer.

They thought it would be easier to take it from the civilians, then to fight Congress over the Wilderness Areas.

They do have meneuvers out in the North Barstow area, Ft Irwin I believe is who's doing it. I've seen them driving out in there vehicles...Why not combine the area with their bombin practice just make sure they schedule it right....:shocked:

There's alot of new fence in that Northern area. I wish I would have been exploring that area sooner, before it was all lost.

I live 30 minutes from Ft. Knox. the army's biggest tank training facility from what I understand...you can hear and feel those tank rounds all the time. I don't think they care much if it annoys anyone.
:prof:

During world war two Patton started the Desert Training Center. It started in Pomona on west, to Phoenix on the west, Yuma to the south and to about Searchlight on the north. No wilderness to impede anything back then. Today you can find tank tracks through several of the so called "wilderness" areas. Today there are so many off limits wildernesses that Johnson valley is about the only large contiguous area left with the necessary terrain. For a long time it was a dream to connect 29 Palms with Ft Irwin.

Here is a write up on the desert training center and a map. http://www.ameriforce.net/PDF/rng_dec09/RNG_Dec09_024-25.pdf
800px-Desert_training_center_-_map.png

During world war two Patton started the Desert Training Center. It started in Pomona on west, to Phoenix on the west, Yuma to the south and to about Searchlight on the north. No wilderness to impede anything back then. Today you can find tank tracks through several of the so called "wilderness" areas. Today there are so many off limits wildernesses that Johnson valley is about the only large contiguous area left with the necessary terrain. For a long time it was a dream to connect 29 Palms with Ft Irwin.

Here is a write up on the desert training center and a map. http://www.ameriforce.net/PDF/rng_dec09/RNG_Dec09_024-25.pdf
800px-Desert_training_center_-_map.png

That is an OLD map, but still better than the blm puts out!