Is this a good deal?

It's not really a good deal. You could get a much newer bike for that price. Unfortunately, you dont seem to have many options! I searched around that area of craigslist and couldn't find but a few 250f's.

The bike has a lot of bling, but it's still a stock motor (guessing) with 63 hours on it. Around here $4000 can usually land you a 2010-2012 bike with a couple aftermarket parts.

Do you have a dealership near by? You may have a better chance there.

Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah we have some dealerships but they are all at least $8000 for a new dirt bike..... one of the dealers have a new 2012 old stock YZf250 for $6500 but even that is a little out of my price range right now. Kinda looking to spend around $3000ish just to see if I will actually stick with this or not and maybe later buy something newer. Prices here in Hawaii suck! everything is expensive and being that you can't just drive to another state or even another island for that matter, makes it even worse.

Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah we have some dealerships but they are all at least $8000 for a new dirt bike..... one of the dealers have a new 2012 old stock YZf250 for $6500 but even that is a little out of my price range right now. Kinda looking to spend around $3000ish just to see if I will actually stick with this or not and maybe later buy something newer. Prices here in Hawaii suck! everything is expensive and being that you can't just drive to another state or even another island for that matter, makes it even worse.

No problem!! Wow, that's rough. Do the dealers not carry used bikes?

How about this bike? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/4157513909.html

Also, what kind of riding will you be doing? Are you interested in a 2 stroke?

No problem!! Wow, that's rough. Do the dealers not carry used bikes?

How about this bike? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/4157513909.html

Also, what kind of riding will you be doing? Are you interested in a 2 stroke?
The dealers here don't really have much inventory and I only came across one of them that had a used bike for sale it was a 2008 Honda CRF250 for $4300. I really don't know much about dirt bikes so I don't know about the differences between the 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I have read some of the differences but not sure how they would affect my riding as a new rider. I am looking to get on a motocross track mainly but will probably also ride some easy trails once in a while too. Looking for mainly a racing bike I guess. Will my weight(210 lbs) be a factor between choosing a 2 or 4 stroke or is it just personal preference mostly? that bike looks like a good prospect! thanks for doing some research and finding that bike.

WOW! prices are crazy there in Hawaii!

The newest bike you can afford for the least amount of money as possible is what you want. They will all need a little pre ride inspection....

4T (T=Stroke) needs usual valve checks, oil and filter changes and screen cleanings.... 2T's usually the once over and a new piston and rings for safe measure (cheap to do yourself around $130)

The way it sounds you really lean towards the 4T and eventually hitting the track.. If that's the case a 250f would be the way to go. If at all possible get the Yamaha 250f. Its a solid and reliable motor and that's what you truly want as a beginner. Not as fast as the other 250f's but fast enough to still win/race. I hope this helps...
Good luck :thumb:

Haha I wish I could take a road trip! So is a 4 stroke more for a beginner? My KX250 was a 2 stroke and the power felt fine, of course I have a lot of respect for these things and don't crank it out. I also found this one..... http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/4192621111.html that would be about a 2 ½ hour round trip.

Depends, if you are coming off a 250 2 stroke you may want to go for a 450 4 stroke. The 250 4 stroke will be a little under powered for what you are used to. The 450 will have a nice low end grunt with a great mid to top, where the 250 2 stroke has a great mid to top end power. But if you are looking to mellow out the power than a CRF250R will be a great bike, I wouldnt go with the 2005, they had a reliability problem with the early years, go with a 2007 or higher if you can.

Is one better than the other as far as taking jumps? I don't know how to jump yet but would like to learn and I have read some people saying that you need to blirp the throttle at the top of the jump..... If that's the case would something with more low end grunt be better? Or am I totally off track......

Is one better than the other as far as taking jumps? I don't know how to jump yet but would like to learn and I have read some people saying that you need to blirp the throttle at the top of the jump..... If that's the case would something with more low end grunt be better? Or am I totally off track......

Not a clue man, I dont jump the big stuff, just enduro type stuff.