I lost a Bike

that sucks man.. glad everything tuned out ok....

I lost ahonda 250r 3wheeler out of the back of my moms truck... she picked it up from my buddys house when i was away on a trip...and we have a steep hill before our house and strap broke rolled back with enough force to pop the tailgate open....rolled to the bottom of the hill..... broke the silencer off... and dented the fatty pretty good.. busted the left side case..scratch up the plastic... a little... the seat and rear fenders luckily wasnt on good.. and they flew off rather early lol... it wasnt as bad as i thought.....

oh my mom felt so bad... she had my buddy order most of the parts to fix it before i got home...i told her it wasnt her fault... it was my buddys for using a cheap strap

From your description you hit a bump, the suspension compresses, and the bottom hook of the strap disengaged. This is a common problem. One thing you can do is run a bungee cord between the hooks. This keeps tension on the hooks even if the suspension compresses. One of my firends has some cool straps that have carabiners on the bottom end. No disengagement with those.

From your description you hit a bump, the suspension compresses, and the bottom hook of the strap disengaged. This is a common problem. One thing you can do is run a bungee cord between the hooks. This keeps tension on the hooks even if the suspension compresses. One of my firends has some cool straps that have carabiners on the bottom end. No disengagement with those.

That's what I use with all my tie-downs. :thumb: Just buy a bunch of them at your local hardware store and hook 'em up to your tie-downs and you're golden. :prof:

I use carabiners on both ends of my tie downs. This way I can run the bikes not so tight and the susp lets them bounce a little and also doesnt put such a load on the springs. I use soft straps loops over the bars and hook the carabiners into those. Never had one come loose after that. Get them at the hardware store for about $3 each. I also have sopme newer tie downs that have the carbiner built in as part of the tie down on the botton end and the soft loop at the handle bar end. They work too and I have had no problems with them coming off. And finally before all the carbiners I used a bungy cord from one hook to the other to keep tension on the hooks to keep them tight. It all works.

:thumb: That's what I use, plus they also have a soft strap for the top, very good tie-downs.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/HIGH-ROLLER-TIEDOWNS/?id=106743

Those will do but if you want the biggest and baddest check out the protapers. Everything is beefier on these bad boys. Not to mention the auto-detangling swivel 'biners and the velcro straps to keep the excess strap under control. Pricey but oh so nice. I am surprised no one has stolen them at the track yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tiedowns-Black/dp/B002YMV6XM

Don't feel bad, OP, I've done it. 'Cept it wasn't a bike, it was my Stupidjet. I had one of those slick roller trailers, and forgot to pin the nose of the boat, or strap the rear- double dunklehead! Gassed it into the intersection and watched my ski skiing some asphalt. I was so pissed at myself I picked up the 300 lb ski and tossed it into the bed of the truck in one motion, which made me feel a little bit better. Hey, if you're gonna be stupid, you have to be tough, right?

My dirt bikes get double straps, it would make me cry to see my bike tatered 'cause I didn't secure it properly.

James

Staff member
Those will do but if you want the biggest and baddest check out the protapers. Everything is beefier on these bad boys. Not to mention the auto-detangling swivel 'biners and the velcro straps to keep the excess strap under control. Pricey but oh so nice. I am surprised no one has stolen them at the track yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tiedowns-Black/dp/B002YMV6XM
:thumb: I would've gotten those but if I remember right those didn't come out until after I already had the other ones. (This was a couple years ago)