4 Stroke I hurt my bike

so after 3 days of epic riding with PBK out in logandale we were done... untill his buddy said hey lets go ride.. so day 4 here we come.

we get to the trails and my bike is smoking and low on oil :cry: I put more oil in and went on the last ride. When i got done this is what she looked like...
9r2bgx.jpg

97ocog.jpg

10z45fb.jpg

I did notice a small loss of power as well.

I was told its all the symptoms of a blown valve seal.
I was also told when i do my seals there is other things that i should replace since i will have my motor open.

so what should i replace and what parts should i get to fix my hurt pumpkin. I hear its not hard to do so im gonna attempt to do this myself. Ive done minor work on cars before so im not a complete noob but this will be my first motorcycle so any noobish advice is greatly appreciated.

the bike is a 2005 KTM 525sx

There are only two things I think could cause that.

1. Failed Rings which are allowing oil into the combustion chamber.
2. Failed valve seals which are allowing oil into the combustion chamber.

Probably both. You my friend need a rebuild.:shocked:

There are only two things I think could cause that.

1. Failed Rings which are allowing oil into the combustion chamber.
2. Failed valve seals which are allowing oil into the combustion chamber.

Probably both. You my friend need a rebuild.:shocked:

should i just pplan on doing both ?
i shouldnt need any special tools should i ?
im guessing its pretty straight forward to do considering i have my manual ?

Is there anything else i should do when i have it open?

Ive never done this before so im kinda hoping some of you can push me in the right direction now that we know its one of the 2 things.

I really want to do this myself and not have to take it to the rape my wallet shop but i need to have this done before T-day.

Come on Trav, It's a KTM. Duct tape and ride it. If it fails, shotgun! You might need to post this on KTM talk to get fresh, good, strait answers. Good luck brudda!

Get a piston kit. Pull the head and send it to some one to clean and recondition the head. I dont think I would try and do the head myself. I will ask KTMJoe he lives down the street from me and is a pumpkin head:smirk:

Get a piston kit. Pull the head and send it to some one to clean and recondition the head. I dont think I would try and do the head myself. I will ask KTMJoe he lives down the street from me and is a pumpkin head:smirk:

really? fuck people were making it sound like it was a simple fix and something i could do myself... :( if i have to send it out i dont know if im gonna make T-day then :cry:

Once I had the fresh head parts I took it to a local shop and it was only $75 to have the head reconditioned, the cylinder honed, and he even offered to put all the parts back into the head for me. I wanted to do it myself so he just gave the parts and it was easy.

As far as KTM I really don't know that much about the motor parts. I would suggest that you just start with taking the head and the cylinder off to access the piston and rings. After this you will have the ability to post pics and get advice or go to your local shop. I would almost be certain with as much spooge is coming out of the exhaust, that the vavle seals are totally shot for sure. If you have never done anything to your bike and don't know what previous owner did, then you may be in for a full rebuild.

The only way to know is to start at the top and work your way down.

Another important thing is to check your crankshaft balancer rod clearance and make sure it is in spec.

You should buy a manual or find a downloadable one for the best reference on the step by step.

Once I had the fresh head parts I took it to a local shop and it was only $75 to have the head reconditioned, the cylinder honed, and he even offered to put all the parts back into the head for me. I wanted to do it myself so he just gave the parts and it was easy.

As far as KTM I really don't know that much about the motor parts. I would suggest that you just start with taking the head and the cylinder off to access the piston and rings. After this you will have the ability to post pics and get advice or go to your local shop. I would almost be certain with as much spooge is coming out of the exhaust, that the vavle seals are totally shot for sure. If you have never done anything to your bike and don't know what previous owner did, then you may be in for a full rebuild.

The only way to know is to start at the top and work your way down.

Another important thing is to check your crankshaft balancer rod clearance and make sure it is in spec.

You should buy a manual or find a downloadable one for the best reference on the step by step.

ill get on the tear down tomarrow and take some pics... i do have the manual for the bike tho.

James

Staff member
If you need new valves and the seats cut I'd recommend sending it to Dave at MX Time, I've had good luck with them as has another member (I think it was Curtis74).

It's $425 for new valves, springs, and the seats cut. Plus it's machine cleaned and looks practically new when you get it back. I have some before & after pictures at home if you want to see.
http://mxtime.com/Valve-Seat-Cutting.htm

The piston and rings you should be able to do yourself. :thumb:

Check out ktmtalk.com they will have lots of info on rebuilds ect. Also check out Munnracing.com or .net (cant remember which). they will have an exploded view of any part imaginable on the machine. Its a good guide to help you remember where stuff goes.

SRAD97750

Staff member
REMEMBER>>> YOU CAN DO IT! KEEP POSITIVE!
Bikes can get frustrating, keep at it, you'll save a BUNCH of cash. Also the knowledge/experience you will gain is priceless.
-BIG DAN:thumb: