Huge waterspout caught on cam

James

Staff member
:shocked:

According to CBS News, the rare phenomena were spotted off the New South Wales coast as extreme weather hammered down on other parts of the region. The aerial videos seen below were filmed from a helicopter by Australia's Channel 7, which claimed that they reached heights of nearly 2,000 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGjGkcrItik

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yeah, the pan out to all 3 was pretty creepy.
Amazing that it picks up water. Looks pretty harmless in of itself. I imagine the weather that causes it is not so harmless.:noidea:

-BIG DAN

James

Staff member
Yeah, the pan out to all 3 was pretty creepy.
Amazing that it picks up water. Looks pretty harmless in of itself. I imagine the weather that causes it is not so harmless.:noidea:

-BIG DAN
I guess this is pretty rare. :noidea:

I read somewhere that the winds around it can reach 60 MPH which in reality isn't that high, anyways not compared to land tornadoes.

All waterspouts are tornados on water. And yes they can cause damage. They are not rare either, especially in the southeast off of Florida. We even have them several times a year in California in winter and spring.:prof:

James

Staff member
All waterspouts are tornados on water. And yes they can cause damage. They are not rare either, especially in the southeast off of Florida. We even have them several times a year of California in winter and spring.:prof:
Oh nice, that would be pretty cool to see in person someday.

I've actually seen a few off the California coast. As is the case with those Australian water spouts they were all little F1's. Nothing like the monsters that happen in the heartland of America. One afternoon summer at a party near Palmdale when the monsoonal thunderstorms were about, there was a F1 tornado that formed. It was pretty much hit the open desert and didn't do much damage. The amazing thing is that the cloud bases were really high at nearly 10,000 feet. It was this long twisted rope that came all the way down.

I've actually seen a few off the California coast. As is the case with those Australian water spouts they were all little F1's. Nothing like the monsters that happen in the heartland of America. One afternoon summer at a party near Palmdale when the monsoonal thunderstorms were about, there was a F1 tornado that formed. It was pretty much hit the open desert and didn't do much damage. The amazing thing is that the cloud bases were really high at nearly 10,000 feet. It was this long twisted rope that came all the way down.
I continue to be amazed at your weather knowledge.:thumb::thumb: