4 Stroke How much oil does your KTM burn through ?

After about 12 hours or so of riding i noticed my bike was really low on oil... I got some more oil (gave it a oil change while i was at it) but while i was at the shop i asked if that is normal to be almost bone dry after that few hours. They all said its normal.

I am just wondering how much oil your bikes eat up?

Also my bike sucked down a full liter when i did my oil change

My 2007 450exc burns no oil and has 175 hours on it.

see i am wondering what the hell is going on. i have no leaks no smoke from exauhst... why would i be burning so much oil... why would the guys at the KTM dealer tell me this is normal.. sure in the hell does not seem normal to me.... at this rate i will burn through oil faster then i need to do oil changes

How much oil does your KTM burn through ? ..

:lol::lol::lol:

tanker_bow.jpg

how many total hours on the motor? What motor parts have you replaced? It may just be worn and starting to use oil which would be common.

its hard for me to say cause i got it used. ive only put aboput 12 hours on the motor... The only thing on the bike that is aftermarket is they put a orange crank case cover on. I hope i called it right.. ill look in my manual to make sure that is what its called.

Reinstall the drain plug before you add the oil.

Use an impact wrench to make sure it's tight.

:thumb:

:lol: i hope this was a troll but yea its tight and its not leaking oil... i even went back down the trail i was just on to make sure its not just leaking when i ride.

My old 08 450 exc had 186 hours on it when I sold it. It did not use any oil at all. The guy i sold it to is now riding the hell out of it. Great bike!

OK, they will use oil if they are over filled and take it down to the level it really should be at which is half way or less in the sight glass.
They use oil if the valve guide(s) is bad or if the rings are shot as well.
They leak oil from the overflow if upside down or if the rings are shot.
They will leak from the counter shaft seal too if it gets dirt in it.

So fill it up to half of the sight glass when upright and cold and after it has had an hour to drain down. Check again after riding and let us know.

My 06 525 has over 8000mi on it and doesnt leak oil. I add maybe two ounces from one oil change to the next. Which is several rides for me, several hundred miles. The frequency i use is: change oil every few rides or if it got real hot, next is change filters every two oil changes, next is clean the screens every 4 oil changes.

OK, they will use oil if they are over filled and take it down to the level it really should be at which is half way or less in the sight glass.
They use oil if the valve guide(s) is bad or if the rings are shot as well.
They leak oil from the overflow if upside down or if the rings are shot.
They will leak from the counter shaft seal too if it gets dirt in it.

So fill it up to half of the sight glass when upright and cold and after it has had an hour to drain down. Check again after riding and let us know.

My 06 525 has over 8000mi on it and doesnt leak oil. I add maybe two ounces from one oil change to the next. Which is several rides for me, several hundred miles. The frequency i use is: change oil every few rides or if it got real hot, next is change filters every two oil changes, next is clean the screens every 4 oil changes.

cool thank. i have it at half the sight glass now. going to ocotillo for the next 3 days so i will check it and be keeping an eye on it.

all 4t bikes will use some oil and the ktm is definately a user, but that sounds excessive for that short of a ride. there can be a few reasons. im not as familiar with rfs engine as i am with the xc4, and the lc4. on the lc4 there is a major oil change bleeding process and if that is not done correctly you can put in all the oil u want and it wont give a correct reading.
i would put the correct amount of oil it after a complete oil drain/change...then compare that to how it looks in the window. {do rfs motors have a window?}
then run long enough till you think it looks low. let it sit over night and recheck it. if it still looks low drain it completely, letting it sit with the drain plug out overnight again, then measure the drained oil to see how much is actually missing as a baseline. that will possibly surprise you with the results.