How many people grip with their legs?

Good find James :thumb: Here is a practice drill that I used to do alot and will get you to use your legs for sure. I used to get up to speed and then stand up and ride no handed. You will control the bike with your legs and your knees squeezing the tank/seat. Not recommended for track but, give it a try on some reasonably flat desert or fire roads. :thumb:

James

Staff member
Good find James :thumb: Here is a practice drill that I used to do alot and will get you to use your legs for sure. I used to get up to speed and then stand up and ride no handed. You will control the bike with your legs and your knees squeezing the tank/seat. Not recommended for track but, give it a try on some reasonably flat desert or fire roads. :thumb:
Another option is to do what Dungey did and ride the whole track standing. If you find that hard to do, take off your seat. :lol:

Finally found this article, in Dirt Rider, where Dungey [briefly] talks about gripping with the knees.

View attachment 9035

i did so much of what he says when i was riding track till i didnt think about it anymore... i was never really fast on the track but i would focus on one thing at a time untill i was doing it without even thinking about it. all those things everyone told me from watching my vids and my pics like my body position going off jumps and my fingers on the lever i stopped even thinking about after a while.

i pretty much stopped going to the track before i could learn some of the things i was working on.... like shifting in the air and i was also kinda sketchy on hitting the back break when i did sky rockets.

James

Staff member
i did so much of what he says when i was riding track till i didnt think about it anymore... i was never really fast on the track but i would focus on one thing at a time untill i was doing it without even thinking about it. all those things everyone told me from watching my vids and my pics like my body position going off jumps and my fingers on the lever i stopped even thinking about after a while.
:thumb:

I've found that focusing on one thing for awhile can reap big results. Lately mine's been corners and I've already noticed a pretty big improvement. Next is getting the braking point way into the corner.
i pretty much stopped going to the track before i could learn some of the things i was working on.... like shifting in the air and i was also kinda sketchy on hitting the back break when i did sky rockets.
When was the last time you rode on a track?

BTW you don't miss that nut crusher? :lol:

i went to the track about 5 months after that crash.... i wasnt fully healed yet so i only did one lap. then my 525 blew up and i haven't been back since.

James

Staff member
i went to the track about 5 months after that crash.... i wasnt fully healed yet so i only did one lap. then my 525 blew up and i haven't been back since.
That sucks.

Just curious to see how much faster you've gotten. :lol: