How many people grip with their legs?

I learned a really bad technique when I first started riding by riding with my legs loose and doing all my holding on with my hands. I could ride pretty fast but got arm pump really quick. I have tried to covert to gripping with my legs and its coming around but man it feels incredibly uncomfortable. I noticed that my speed slowed down but as I keep trying I can feel my speed coming back. Does anybody have tips on making it feel a little better.

Any tips would be appreciated.

James

Staff member
I also suffer from this bad habit. Just takes time, lots of seat time, to get this (or any) habit down. After awhile you'll be faster though, less arm pump and easier to control the bike.

I have the same problem! my Dad has helped me out a lot since... you gotta work on isolating all the muscles in your leg, and It's pretty much just a lot of mental work to drill in the leg grip habbit. I'm still workin' on it too, you're not the only one.

This gripping the bike with your legs all the time tip is a load of crap! While gripping in specific situations is important, the question is when to grip?

Ride a two hour HS event and your going to squeeze the bike for two hours, a Hare & Hound the Baja 500 or 1000. Your leg muscles will fry quickly...

Holding on with ones arms or getting arm pump has nothing to do with gripping the bike with ones legs. If one maintains a balanced position on the bike (seated or standing) one is NOT holding on to the bars to support oneself.

I LEARNED EARLY FROM RIDING TRACK TO DO THIS. THE AFTER A COUPLE OF TIMES OF JUMPING AND HAVING MY FEET COME OFF THE PEGS WITH THAT FEELING LIKE THE BIKE IS JUST DROPPING AWAY IT BECOMES A HABBIT. NOW I ALWAYS DO IT.

IN FACT IF I DONT WEAR MY KNEEPADS MY KNEES HURT CAUSE I SQUEZE SO HARD SOMETIMES

The way that I look at it I need every method of hanging on the the bike. Now hands have a lot more gripping power than legs, but I find that I can give my arms a bit of a break with the legs.

I LEARNED EARLY FROM RIDING TRACK TO DO THIS. THE AFTER A COUPLE OF TIMES OF JUMPING AND HAVING MY FEET COME OFF THE PEGS WITH THAT FEELING LIKE THE BIKE IS JUST DROPPING AWAY IT BECOMES A HABBIT. NOW I ALWAYS DO IT.

IN FACT IF I DONT WEAR MY KNEEPADS MY KNEES HURT CAUSE I SQUEZE SO HARD SOMETIMES

Thinking this ought to go into the quote thread..... :noidea:...........:smirk:

This gripping the bike with your legs all the time tip is a load of crap! While gripping in specific situations is important, the question is when to grip?

Ride a two hour HS event and your going to squeeze the bike for two hours, a Hare & Hound the Baja 500 or 1000. Your leg muscles will fry quickly...

Holding on with ones arms or getting arm pump has nothing to do with gripping the bike with ones legs. If one maintains a balanced position on the bike (seated or standing) one is NOT holding on to the bars to support oneself.

:popcorn: there........... you may continue!

I just learned last season from reading posts to use my weight (:naughty:) on the pegs when standing... rather than steering only with the bars... still trying to get used to it but it works. :thumb:

i ride by gripping the lower part of my legs (boots) on the bike, cause i feel awkward and slower when i try to grip with the muscles from the knee up. but i also have to let 1 leg loose for a split second when shifting or braking but it just takes alot of practice. you will have alot more control over your bike and you wont get arm pump near as bad

Knees and calves, most weight on pegs, handlebars loose, and it all depends on what you are riding over and the bike is doing. Fluid motion and you will have it. Nope, I suck at riding, call myself a "C" rider at best but thats ok with me!

Trolloloco you are such a goof ball kid.
Ok, so I am 220 and 5'7". Muscle is heavier than fat, and if it wasn't for my beer gut you wouldn't think so. I have asked people what I weigh and they always come in at 195, an/or under 200, that is why I ride bigger bikes, I am probably 240 with all my gear and flight vest. Oh, and I can have fun on my 19 or 16 year olds YZ250's, I would just rather not abuse those little bikes.
Now, go grip your fish taco with your thighs...

Trolloloco you are such a goof ball kid.
Ok, so I am240 and 5'7". Muscle is heavier than fat, and if it wasn't for my beer gut you wouldn't think so. I have asked people what I weigh and they always come in at 195, an/or under 200, that is why I ride bigger bikes, I am probably 240 with all my gear and flight vest. Oh, and I can have fun on my 19 or 16 year olds YZ250's, I would just rather not abuse those little bikes.
Now, go grip your fish taco with your thighs...

Fixed it for ya :P :devil: :smirk: