How fast do your run while towing?

I had a 5x10 flat bed with a 5' folding gate. When I towed it with my bike and gear, I learned to keep it under 65, because that five foot tall gate was like pulling a parachute. At 60 I would get about 16 mpg. At 70 I would get 10.

I had a 5x10 flat bed with a 5' folding gate. When I towed it with my bike and gear, I learned to keep it under 65, because that five foot tall gate was like pulling a parachute. At 60 I would get about 16 mpg. At 70 I would get 10.

is it a solid gate?

Hmmmmm. I see. 6MPG is a huge difference. I see a 1-2 mpg difference when towing the loaded camper and the bikes. but thats a diesel. I guess it depends what you are towing it with too.

Hmmmmm. I see. 6MPG is a huge difference. I see a 1-2 mpg difference when towing the loaded camper and the bikes. but thats a diesel. I guess it depends what you are towing it with too.
Yeah, you're right about that. Just the increased speed makes a big difference with my truck because of the gearing. I drive a 2000 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L, and since it has the towing package it has a 3.93 rear axle. Even when not towing, I get 21-22 mpg at 55, 19-20 at 65, and 16-17 at 75. The mileage drops off dramatically above 65.

But with that gearing, and 255 horses/315 lb/ft under the hood, that little truck is a lot of fun to drive around town...:thumb:

Oh man! I had a dakota 4x4 with the extended cab and that thing was a pig on gas! It had the V8 magnum which was a powerful motor and I could do 100mph everywhere but damn that bastard ate fuel! my dodge van with the v6 was decent though... fully loaded with tools and a generators I would get 16.

Well, there were three different "Magnum V8" engines that you could get in the Dakota. There was the old 5.2L, an ancient and durable but very anemic engine, formerly known as the 318, which started life as the 273 in the early sixties. Then there is the 5.9L that came in the R/T edition, that was "supposed" to be the "performance" engine. But my truck had the 4.7L, which was the replacement for the 5.2L. The 4.7L was a Mercedes overhead cam V-8, with all the modern bells and whistles, and came in 225 hp and 255 hp versions (It now makes 304 hp in the Ram, the Dakota is discontinued). The 255 hp version would outrun the 5.9L in every meaningful test you wanted to try, but for some reason the 5.9L continued to be marketed as the "performance" engine.

My truck is actually somewhat rare, in that it's not an R/T, it's a GT. The GT package came with the R/T suspension, (1" lower, Bilstein shocks, stiffer springs and bushings, thicker front and rear anti-sway bars, quicker steering ratio), along with a bigger radiator and battery, an added electric fan in front of the mechanical engine fan, and the larger rear brakes from the 4x4. And of course the GT came with the Mercedes 4.7L and Mercedes 5 speed auto instead of the 5.9L. It's a very fun truck to drive. :thumb:

But yes, it's a gas hog...:smirk:

I want to say I had the 5.2.... I just remembering having to fill up everyday and sometimes 2-3times a day depending on my day.... lots of gas in that sucker! other than the mileage it was a decent truck.

Just like a window screen...air comes thru it but if you blow on it real hard it'll catch air...:prof:
You better believe screen will "catch air". I lived here during Hurricane Charley, right at ground zero, where the eye came ashore. 165 mph winds will rip pool cages right off your house, even though they're mostly just screen. Now the insurance companies tell you to cut the screens if a hurricane is coming, screen is a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the entire structure.

When the storm was over and I was outside surveying the damage, I discovered that there was a brown pool cage laying in my back yard. None of the houses in my neighborhood have brown cages, they're all white...:shocked:

20ft enclosed with 04 titan CC I do around 60-75 normaly like to keep it below 70.. when a few friends went down to FL from chicago.. We were doing around 70-80 with 5 bikes and futon in the trailer and my friends 11 f150 raptor and it avg 8.5-9mgp

I try to keep it at 65 max with the popup trailer in tow, small wheels. however, I have checked the speedo and oops 80. Last weekend I thought I was gonna get a ticket coming back from Cal City. I noticed a cop sitting on the other side of the divided highway between mojave and rosamond, looked at my speedo and was doing 75. I slowed down to 60. watching him in my rear view, he pulled out, I further slowed to 55, he whipped a u turn in the center dirt area, and then stopped. wheew.

I try to keep it at 65 max with the popup trailer in tow, small wheels. however, I have checked the speedo and oops 80. Last weekend I thought I was gonna get a ticket coming back from Cal City. I noticed a cop sitting on the other side of the divided highway between mojave and rosamond, looked at my speedo and was doing 75. I slowed down to 60. watching him in my rear view, he pulled out, I further slowed to 55, he whipped a u turn in the center dirt area, and then stopped. wheew.
That is the worst feeling in the world too.

Yeah, when Palmer,jr jr and I went out to OW during the Holidays Johnny was sitting in the median with his radar out point AT ME and I was doing roughly 70 pulling my TH...kept looking back but he never pulled out...dropped it down to 65 the rest of the way. I think ift was because we were busy talking I wasn't paying attention to my speed. :naughty: