How can I get safe food certified

so on the topic of businesses....anyone know how I can get safe food certified or be able to get a food prep certification? My little side business is takin off but I'm just doin it out of my house, and would eventually love to build up a little nest and after I graduate then open up a little candy boutique :thumb:

so on the topic of businesses....anyone know who i can get safe food certified or be able to get a food prep certification? My little side business is takin off but I'm just doin it out of my house, and would eventually love to build up a little nest and after I graduate then open up a little candy boutique :thumb:

Are you in LA county? In general every level of govt can have requirements. The main ones you will need to deal with are the county and perhaps the city. I think the county will be he one for the food prep and your city may have something to say about running a business from home. It all should be on the internet.

Be warned that it might be kind of insane. The Chamber of Commerce might have some info for you.

Here is ome good info http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2988126/starting_a_food_business_in_the_los.html?cat=3

Are you in LA county? In general every level of govt can have requirements. The main ones you will need to deal with are the county and perhaps the city. I think the county will be he one for the food prep and your city may have something to say about running a business from home. It all should be on the internet.

Be warned that it might be kind of insane. The Chamber of Commerce might have some info for you.

Here is ome good info http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2988126/starting_a_food_business_in_the_los.html?cat=3

I'm actually right on the border of LA, but am in Orange County. I'll start looking at the city stuff, then county. I know basically though that all food prep has to be in a certified kitchen, and can not be out of a house because of all the regulations, such as peanut/nut contaminations and peoples allergies, safety/health codes, and if I wanna be a good promoter to the jewish community I wanna be able to promote that everything is Kosher. Thanks for the info though and I'll read up on it :thumb:

I'm actually right on the border of LA, but am in Orange County. I'll start looking at the city stuff, then county. I know basically though that all food prep has to be in a certified kitchen, and can not be out of a house because of all the regulations, such as peanut/nut contaminations and peoples allergies, safety/health codes, and if I wanna be a good promoter to the jewish community I wanna be able to promote that everything is Kosher. Thanks for the info though and I'll read up on it :thumb:

When I opened up our discount store with ONLY prepackaged food earlier this year, the COUNTY health dept. was a royal pain in my ass. Understand that the regs go up considerably with anything that is prepared fresh. Go to the local county health dept where you will open your biz and they will give you a list of requirements. Hopefully you can rent a place that has already gone thru the hassle of the regs. If not, the price to be 'NSF" rated will be higher. Also consider that some cities have a city business tax besides state and federal taxes. The city of Los Angeles is the one I had to deal with. Good luck and do your homework before you start.:thumb:

When I opened up our discount store with ONLY prepackaged food earlier this year, the COUNTY health dept. was a royal pain in my ass. Understand that the regs go up considerably with anything that is prepared fresh. Go to the local county health dept where you will open your biz and they will give you a list of requirements. Hopefully you can rent a place that has already gone thru the hassle of the regs. If not, the price to be 'NSF" rated will be higher. Also consider that some cities have a city business tax besides state and federal taxes. The city of Los Angeles is the one I had to deal with. Good luck and do your homework before you start.:thumb:

Wow a whole new thread :shocked:

Yeah I've kinda heard of some of the nightmares with getting into the food business(my uncle sells franchises, and i think he actually just became a manager at a Baja Fresh and had to go through a class with them) I was just scoping online daydreaming and found a location in Westminster (about 15 minutes from my house) that used to be a sandwich shop so I'm assuming they had to get all the certification.

Yeah I am definitely gonna do my homework. My family is made up of a bunch of entrepreneurs and always have been involved with different businesses (my grandma had owned a mexican restaurant, other family has owned a Pioneer Chicken, the same uncle had owned like 5 Jiffy Lubes, my dad used to own a computer internet store...and just was way before the time). Now my dad was layed off from Boeing after over 25 years back when it was McDonald Douglas and all that stuff, and again that brain of his is sparking to try and get into our own business again and this is something that we know has been fairly profitable on the side. We(more me) want more info on how to get back out there based on the ever changing regulations and stuff so we have a good footing if we enter into that business.

-Steph

Wow a whole new thread :shocked:

Yeah I've kinda heard of some of the nightmares with getting into the food business(my uncle sells franchises, and i think he actually just became a manager at a Baja Fresh and had to go through a class with them) I was just scoping online daydreaming and found a location in Westminster (about 15 minutes from my house) that used to be a sandwich shop so I'm assuming they had to get all the certification.

Yeah I am definitely gonna do my homework. My family is made up of a bunch of entrepreneurs and always have been involved with different businesses (my grandma had owned a mexican restaurant, other family has owned a Pioneer Chicken, the same uncle had owned like 5 Jiffy Lubes, my dad used to own a computer internet store...and just was way before the time). Now my dad was layed off from Boeing after over 25 years back when it was McDonald Douglas and all that stuff, and again that brain of his is sparking to try and get into our own business again and this is something that we know has been fairly profitable on the side. We(more me) want more info on how to get back out there based on the ever changing regulations and stuff so we have a good footing if we enter into that business.

-Steph

Go to one of the smaller resaurants in the area and talk to the manager/owner. See what it took them to get certified...I know you'll have to go thru the state at one time to get your "grade...A, B, C etc".

Good luck in doing this...I've had asperations on opening a BBQ/grill/bar kind of place (people are urging me to do so) but I have no experience working in one let alone owning/running one. Good Luck :thumb:

Go to one of the smaller resaurants in the area and talk to the manager/owner. See what it took them to get certified...I know you'll have to go thru the state at one time to get your "grade...A, B, C etc".

Good luck in doing this...I've had asperations on opening a BBQ/grill/bar kind of place (people are urging me to do so) but I have no experience working in one let alone owning/running one. Good Luck :thumb:

Yeah I'll have to ask our little local mom/pop diner what they had to do. We don't have letter grades down here anymore...we these colorful plack cards or like city seals now. Hhaha my mom said if we owned a chocolate shop she'd definitely be game , she used to be a waiter at a Spires, and i guess was good at it :lol::lol:

Yeah I'll have to ask our little local mom/pop diner what they had to do. We don't have letter grades down here anymore...we these colorful plack cards or like city seals now. Hhaha my mom said if we owned a chocolate shop she'd definitely be game , she used to be a waiter at a Spires, and i guess was good at it :lol::lol:

Hey, don't knock it.......a jobs a job...ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Have had that thought a few times as well. We will see what the future brings. Owning a restaurant is THE hardest business to open and be successful with.

Have had that thought a few times as well. We will see what the future brings. Owning a restaurant is THE hardest business to open and be successful with.

Everyone that has told me I should open one isn't familiar with running one...I've heard the same thing! I have a friend who is willing to go halves on a roadhouse type bar/grill. He owned one in Jersey and did rather well....then he moved out here! :shocked:

Everyone that has told me I should open one isn't familiar with running one...I've heard the same thing! I have a friend who is willing to go halves on a roadhouse type bar/grill. He owned one in Jersey and did rather well....then he moved out here! :shocked:

The thought not only involved doing this but having the exact same type of restaurant... BBQ and grill too.:thumb: