Home-made Tracks

Yup, i knew was forgetting to leave something out. I was going to put that i knew it would take a couple hours upkeep each week. I plan on making a pull behind water trailer and keeping some of the attachments handy to prep the track when it starts to get packed or really rutted :thumb:

A small double jump (3'highx3'crownx10'w) requires 4-5 traxle dumptruck loads of dirt... You need about 75 loads.

Mow in the track 1st at about 12 ft wide and ride it, adjust the turns and the run ups as needed... Good luck

James

Staff member
Not trying to discourage you but tracks are a lot of work, especially if you don't have the right tools/equipment. Do you have access to a dozer? How big of a tractor and (chisel) plow do you have? And the biggest question, where are you getting all your dirt from? Like Mike said, it takes many many truck loads. Did you watch the SX race at Dodger Stadium, that took ~500 truck loads. :shocked:

A mixture of clay for the faces will keep them from becoming rutted out as fast.

Also isn't that track a little "aggressive", especially the middle step-on-off section. That'll take a lot of maintenance to keep nice, same with the whoops. I'd suggest keeping it simple and starting out with just some doubles (tables would be better but they take to much dirt) and 180's. :noidea:

Not trying to discourage you but tracks are a lot of work, especially if you don't have the right tools/equipment. Do you have access to a dozer? How big of a tractor and (chisel) plow do you have? And the biggest question, where are you getting all your dirt from? Like Mike said, it takes many many truck loads. Did you watch the SX race at Dodger Stadium, that took ~500 truck loads. :shocked:

A mixture of clay for the faces will keep them from becoming rutted out as fast.

Also isn't that track a little "aggressive", especially the middle step-on-off section. That'll take a lot of maintenance to keep nice, same with the whoops. I'd suggest keeping it simple and starting out with just some doubles (tables would be better but they take to much dirt) and 180's. :noidea:

:lol: james you dont have to have a supercross size or even quality track..... if it wasn't for neighbors i would turn the hill behind my house into a track... as long as i could get the basic stuff needed like maybe a bobcat or a dozer of sorts. it would still be super fun and good for your skills to have a shitty track built out of whatever terrain is available to you on your property.

James

Staff member
:lol: james you dont have to have a supercross size or even quality track.....
Wasn't implying that, just giving him something to compare to. The amount of dirt needed to build decent sized jumps is a lot of the time grossly underestimated.

I did suggest keeping it simple and start out with just a couple of doubles and flat straightaways. Something like this:

track.jpg

I'd keep the sweeper corner area flat (groomed) and have different types of corners/berms on the other 3. Having speed in motocross is all about corner speed, so I'd have more emphasize on them and not the jumps. Another thing would be to keep the two straights on the raw side (braking/acceleration bumps, naturally whooped out) as it'll help you choose lines through the "crap". All this makes your life easier as it won't take as much work to maintain.

Wasn't implying that, just giving him something to compare to. The amount of dirt needed to build decent sized jumps is a lot of the time grossly underestimated.

I did suggest keeping it simple and start out with just a couple of doubles and flat straightaways. Something like this:

View attachment 6702

I'd keep the sweeper corner area flat (groomed) and have different types of corners/berms on the other 3. Having speed in motocross is all about corner speed, so I'd have more emphasize on them and not the jumps. Another thing would be to keep the two straights on the raw side (braking/acceleration bumps, naturally whooped out) as it'll help you choose lines through the "crap". All this makes your life easier as it won't take as much work to maintain.

+1

committing yourself to building a track as big as you want all at once isn't realistic, start little and expand it over time! :thumb:

Yeah those are Tractor Trailer loads not Dump truck loads....

James, not trying to be rude, but do you actually read any of the post? I have helped with tracks before as i said in the first one and then i clarified in a reply to nedge about how i know the upkeep on these things and how i plan to do it. Also in the first post i said i can have a bobcat 763 (skidsteer) for a weekend for free and a garden tractor with all the attachments. Plus this is a small track, that drawing is mine and i made it to scale, using 12ft lanes and 3 footers throughout the rhythm section, the big jump and the begging is a 35ft gap without the small landing table and is the biggest one. The only thing that would pose a problem and the moment is dirt, which i also stated i will be contacting pool company's, home builders and posting adds looking for dirt. Again, just trying to clarify that i have put thought into this and have already stated all these things, not that i don''t appreciate the advise

James, not trying to be rude, but do you actually read any of the post? I have helped with tracks before as i said in the first one and then i clarified in a reply to nedge about how i know the upkeep on these things and how i plan to do it. Also in the first post i said i can have a bobcat 763 (skidsteer) for a weekend for free and a garden tractor with all the attachments. Plus this is a small track, that drawing is mine and i made it to scale, using 12ft lanes and 3 footers throughout the rhythm section, the big jump and the begging is a 35ft gap without the small landing table and is the biggest one. The only thing that would pose a problem and the moment is dirt, which i also stated i will be contacting pool company's, home builders and posting adds looking for dirt. Again, just trying to clarify that i have put thought into this and have already stated all these things, not that i don''t appreciate the advise
Will I get to meet Villipoto at your track or not :noidea:

New design, Made the rhythm into one double and got rid of the berm after it. Sorta took you through a virtual walk-through too. The quad and bike are not to scale, the berms are close but with free software you can only do so much. Whatcha think?

*Forgot to put that i spaced out the berms more, made the height shorter and the width longer. The other ones were over-done

Attachments

• adsf.jpg
    adsf.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 42
  • bf.jpg
    bf.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 42
  • dfdf.jpg
    dfdf.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 49
  • dsf.jpg
    dsf.jpg