Hitch Carrier

i have never used one of those but to me it seems like it would make sense to add one through the back tire and around the carrier so the tire does not bounce up

looks to me that you are using the rack wrong. I have one without the wide tie down points at the front as well. The points below the pegs with holes in them are for tying down the foot pegs. This style does not use handle bar tie points. You can use tie downs or short pieces of chain to hook to the foot pegs. I use carabiners on a tie down on both ends. No need for bar tie downs. I tie the rear wheel to the rail.

I go from my bars to the center bar and that's it. I made the trip from Holland mi to south of stl many times without issue. I have even hauled a couple rockets that way too, just as far. I also use ratchet straps as I don't trust the pull type.

Same here, the pull type will almost always slip if you get caught in the rain and they get wet. Alot of guys still use them, i just don't trust them

been using the pull kind for many many years and i have never had one slip. :noidea: the cheap ones will have the thumb release part bend in making it nearly impossible to use anymore. have had that happen a lot.

i use to not give any fucks about using the metal on my bars until i read an article about how the scratches can cause rust which then make your bars bend easier. sop i started using straps. recently i got these...
mot_14_car_tie_dow_sof_tie-blk-2.jpg

:thumb: love it.

Looks like the bike may be in the carrier backwards. Post a full picture of the back tire in the carrier. Note how the picture James or Emily posted has a little lip/ramp at the front tire.

been using the pull kind for many many years and i have never had one slip. :noidea: the cheap ones will have the thumb release part bend in making it nearly impossible to use anymore. have had that happen a lot.

i use to not give any fucks about using the metal on my bars until i read an article about how the scratches can cause rust which then make your bars bend easier. sop i started using straps. recently i got these...
mot_14_car_tie_dow_sof_tie-blk-2.jpg

:thumb: love it.

FYI... unless you're using steel bars, aluminum doesn't rust... however, it will corrode! In the old days when bars were chrome plated steel, then again, it took a little to crack thru the chrome... once you did that they looked like shit and needed to be replaced just for that reason... as for modern day bars being aluminum... unless the anodize is the basic "cosmetic" type (super thin) it should also "help" keep the surface from getting scratched... :prof:

Also, the hooks should have the plastic/rubber coating to avoid this from occurring...

All in all - I like the strap over the bars (pictured) better due to not having to worry about pinching wires, etc. the strap can be manuevered around them easier. ... I need to get a pair with the caribiner end...

I too have only used the pull type tie-downs... Ankras to be exact. The only time I've had one fail other than breaking was after leaving it in the bed of my trruck and the strap got "weathered" and the knurled gripper wouldn't grip anymore... after hitting a dipped intersection the bike loosened but fell towards the bed instead of over the side... it didn't release completely! :thumb:

James

Staff member
looks to me that you are using the rack wrong. I have one without the wide tie down points at the front as well. The points below the pegs with holes in them are for tying down the foot pegs. This style does not use handle bar tie points. You can use tie downs or short pieces of chain to hook to the foot pegs. I use carabiners on a tie down on both ends. No need for bar tie downs. I tie the rear wheel to the rail.

I think you might be onto something here. :thumb:

Thanks for all the input guys! I rode yesterday and used more of an angle. The bike was solid to an from and I didn't struggle at all. I just need to find a way to stop the wiggle that the carrier has when it sits in the receiver. Bumps tend to make the whole unit rock back and forth...

they make wiggle stoppers for that style mount. It has bolts and wedges against the truck part of the hitch to stop the wiggle. I don't use it, Ive always liked a little wiggle myself.