Hitch Carrier

Hi All,

So I took the bike out on Saturday and had a blast! I purchased a hitch carrier for my SUV and tying the bike to it was a bit of a struggle being a newb. For some reason I got it on ok but when it came time to go home it was a disaster. I put the hooks on the bars and attached them to one of the rails below. They're ratchet straps which I don't love but whatever. The bike kept wanting to fall towards the back of the car as the hook on the outside kept slipping. No matter what I did worked and I finally drove home very slowly with the handle bar end resting against the rear window :doh: . Two of the straps jammed and I had to cut them when I got home.:finger:

The long and short of it is do you guys who use these carriers have any tips? This carrier does not have a way to lock the wheels in place on the frame.

photo_zpscdf7b890.jpg

First time carrying it so I was trying to be extra careful. I don't like the tiedown around the seat.

James

Staff member
photo_zpscdf7b890.jpg

First time carrying it so I was trying to be extra careful. I don't like the tiedown around the seat.

Would it make more sense hooking onto the grips so that it gives you leverage (being careful to not bend your bars)? Because right now you don't have any leverage as the straps go straight up and down.

Hook the straps on the carrier end more forward (I.E. go in line with the forks angle) and further back on the backend. Having them straight up and down doesn't give either end resistance against themselves.

Awesome guys thanks! This picture was taken as I got to the trail and somehow it stayed in place. I will move them next time for sure.

That carrier should have a tie down point on either side of the track your wheels go on

like this
56-6236.jpg

Also, buying quality tie downs is a must. You can't afford to buy cheap ones when see your bike rolling down the highway behind your vehicle. :thumb:

In addition, ratchet straps for the bar tie down are kind of a pain in the ass. I recommend the regular pull ones for the bars.

I really like the double tie down idea. And yes ratchet straps suck I found out the hard way and so did my foot...:thumbsdown:

It's always good to have an extra set of tie downs on your bike in case one fails. I think there was a member here who had a tie down fail and their bike went sliding down the road.

James

Staff member
That carrier should have a tie down point on either side of the track your wheels go on

like this
56-6236.jpg

Also, buying quality tie downs is a must. You can't afford to buy cheap ones when see your bike rolling down the highway behind your vehicle. :thumb:

In addition, ratchet straps for the bar tie down are kind of a pain in the ass. I recommend the regular pull ones for the bars.
I'd also tie the rear wheel down so that it doesn't bounce off. A simple piece of rope through/around the rim should do.

I really like the double tie down idea. And yes ratchet straps suck I found out the hard way and so did my foot...:thumbsdown:

I have 4 of these, some of the best ones you'll find, not cheap though.. http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/PRO-TAPER-TIE-DOWNS-BLACK

Tying down the rear wheel was why I put the strap around the seat/back end. Good thought on those tie downs. I bought 500lb ones but 1200lbs sounds better.

I go from my bars to the center bar and that's it. I made the trip from Holland mi to south of stl many times without issue. I have even hauled a couple rockets that way too, just as far. I also use ratchet straps as I don't trust the pull type.