Hey look it's a new bike!

Well after actually riding it in the dirt it's not exactly twice as powerful. The XR600 actually has more at the very bottom. It can chug up something really steep in second and the beta needed downshifting in places where the XR didn't. Now that might be partially due to the gearing, as the dual sport version it comes with 15/45 gearing that's great for the freeway, but not so much for the trails. One of the holdups earlier this week as that the bike had the wrong front sprocket on it. Not sure what was up with it, but the chain didn't mesh on more than two or three teeth. Must have been a 525 chain size sprocket or something. I had them put a 14 on it. I'll be going with a 48 or 50 rear for sure.

Now one the revs get higher, the situation changes. There is a lot of go in that engine. I did give is a few seconds of full throttle at low to mid rpms. All I can say is Wow, and you had better have a good grip on the bars.

Other than wide open desert I just don't see where I'd ever do lots of wide open throttle. Most of my riding will be a low throttle openings. Not exactly a lot of opportunity for wide open on trails.

Well I now have 3.1 hours on the bike so I can do that first oil change.

Well after actually riding it in the dirt it's not exactly twice as powerful. The XR600 actually has more at the very bottom. It can chug up something really steep in second and the beta needed downshifting in places where the XR didn't. Now that might be partially due to the gearing, as the dual sport version it comes with 15/45 gearing that's great for the freeway, but not so much for the trails. One of the holdups earlier this week as that the bike had the wrong front sprocket on it. Not sure what was up with it, but the chain didn't mesh on more than two or three teeth. Must have been a 525 chain size sprocket or something. I had them put a 14 on it. I'll be going with a 48 or 50 rear for sure.

Now one the revs get higher, the situation changes. There is a lot of go in that engine. I did give is a few seconds of full throttle at low to mid rpms. All I can say is Wow, and you had better have a good grip on the bars.

Other than wide open desert I just don't see where I'd ever do lots of wide open throttle. Most of my riding will be a low throttle openings. Not exactly a lot of opportunity for wide open on trails.

Well I now have 3.1 hours on the bike so I can do that first oil change.
I can help you with that if you want:smirk: Sweet scooter and a 14/48 is a great gearing, but if you are doing more low speed trails, 14/50 would be the way to go.

James

Staff member
Good job on the new bike Carl! :thumb:

The stated break in procedure is very conservative. That's normal when coming from the manufacturer.
Exactly, covering their own arse in case something bad does happen.
And Carl is right, the new cylinders is amazingly new material that withstands heavy, hard, high compression engines and are not what they used to be. George Erl (long time racer and engine builder still says to give the engine time to heat cycle and seal.) I would take a 65 year old with over 45 years of experience over a young fuck
:thumb: But only if said "expert" is changing with the technology. What worked 5-45 years ago doesn't always apply to the current models. :noidea:

Here's what I do.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Warm the bike up completely and go ride it hard.