Hey look it's a new bike!

First and likely only brand new bike that I'll ever own. It had better be good. It sure looks nice.

img0308qv.jpg

img0309wi.jpg

Oh I spoke to soon on the last ride of the 600 thread.:smirk: And, there it is! Nice one Carl..so, now the 3 hours of half throttle and 12 hours of three quarter throttle, the the hammer it like you stole it... :thumb:

Oh I spoke to soon on the last ride of the 600 thread.:smirk: And, there it is! Nice one Carl..so, now the 3 hours of half throttle and 12 hours of three quarter throttle, the the hammer it like you stole it... :thumb:
so you are one of those guys:P

congrats carl... i still think it will be odd to see you on it... you should get new gear as well :P

Now go out and make sense of it's name.
betta-fish.jpg
History

Beta has its origins in 1904 as a bicycle manufacturing company named "Società Giuseppe Bianchi",[1] originally based in Florence. The company started making motorcycles in 1948. The name Beta comes from the initials of Enzo Bianchi and Arrigo Tosi, who ran the company at that time. Focusing on two-stroke bikes through the 1950s and 1960s, the company started focusing development and production to off-road motorcycles in the 1970s. (B ianchi E nzo T osi A rrigo) Thats an easy find. I am surprised you didn't google it. :prof::smirk:
so you are one of those guys:P

congrats carl... i still think it will be odd to see you on it... you should get new gear as well :P

:confused: And what kind of guys is that...:thinking:

Strait out of the book: :prof:

RUNNING-IN
The running-in period lasts approximately 15 hours, during which it is advisable to: 1 During the first 3 hours of operation the engine should only be used to approxi- mately 50 percent of its power. In addition, the engine speed should not exceed
7,000 rpm. 2 For the next 12 hours of operation the engine should only be used to about 75
percent of its power. 3 Use the vehicle after properly warming up the engine. 4 Avoid travelling at constant speed (changing the speed causes the different com-
ponents to bed in evenly and more quickly). This procedure should be followed each time piston, piston rings, cylinder, crankshaft or crankshaft bearings are replaced.
WARNING After the first 3 hours or 20 litres of petrol change the engine and gear oil.
•Always use high-octane unleaded petrol. •After using the vehicle on rough ground for the first time, carefully check the
tightening of all nuts and bolts.

Strait out of the book: :prof:

RUNNING-IN
The running-in period lasts approximately 15 hours, during which it is advisable to: 1 During the first 3 hours of operation the engine should only be used to approxi- mately 50 percent of its power. In addition, the engine speed should not exceed
7,000 rpm. 2 For the next 12 hours of operation the engine should only be used to about 75
percent of its power. 3 Use the vehicle after properly warming up the engine. 4 Avoid travelling at constant speed (changing the speed causes the different com-
ponents to bed in evenly and more quickly). This procedure should be followed each time piston, piston rings, cylinder, crankshaft or crankshaft bearings are replaced.
WARNING After the first 3 hours or 20 litres of petrol change the engine and gear oil.
•Always use high-octane unleaded petrol. •After using the vehicle on rough ground for the first time, carefully check the
tightening of all nuts and bolts.

im just sayin talk to a different guy and he will have a different opinion on break in procedure :thumb:

i did half throttle for a tank of gas never really staying in one spot on the throttle... changed my oil and rode her like i stole her ever since :)

The stated break in procedure is very conservative. That's normal when coming from the manufacturer. With nikasil or other hard plated cylinders the whole ring break in is kind of a lesser thing than it was in years past.

So far I've only done a little putt around the neighborhood for maybe 15 minutes just to get a heat cycle in.

50% power on this bike is about 100% of the XR. At 100% you will be going real fast real quickly.

The bike has a cool little compartment inside the left rear side panel aft of the air filter. The RR has a tool kit there. I think you could get some tools and a tube in there. The RS has a smog component. It looks like it's a charcoal gas vapor capture can. It might get "relocated" a bit so I can use it for a tool kit.

im just sayin talk to a different guy and he will have a different opinion on break in procedure :thumb:

i did half throttle for a tank of gas never really staying in one spot on the throttle... changed my oil and rode her like i stole her ever since :)

No need to talk to a "different guy" when in comes "straight" from the manufacturer. :prof: Please, re-read what the manufacturer says.
The running-in period lasts approximately 15 hours, during which it is advisable to: [unquote] Main word is advisable! See the word "Must" is not present. Talk to a guy who races a bike and is sponsored, a guy that has money coming out of his ass, a guy that thinks he is the shit, and you will get pretty much the same answer. (25 to 40 yo max) Most of the older racers NO!
And Carl is right, the new cylinders is amazingly new material that withstands heavy, hard, high compression engines and are not what they used to be. George Erl (long time racer and engine builder still says to give the engine time to heat cycle and seal.) I would take a 65 year old with over 45 years of experience over a young fuck that thinks he knows his shit because he is sponsored or someone that has $$$ to burn. With that said, I don't believe the manufacturer is wrong in "advising" what is best. It's like the stupid, "riding motorcycles can cause serious injuries".. Um,,,duh!!! INMO 15hrs of light use it excessive maybe 10 max or 15-20 gallons of gas, and even that is high!