help me decide on my next bike...

James

Staff member
First off what kind of riding are you doing? I thought you'd said that you'd be doing MX and if that's the case, 300 hrs is an INSANE amount. Getting 300 hrs out of an engine is pretty much impossible unless you just putt around. I'd probably already have gone through:

• 3-5 pistons - $200 each
  • 2-3 sets of valves - $425 each
  • 3-5 cam chains - $40 each
  • 80-100 oil changes (1.25 L per change) - $300 total
  • 40-50 oil filters - $4 each
  • 200-300 air filter cleanings
  • a few suspension rebuilds
  • 10-20 exhaust repackings - $7 each
  • an unknown amount of chains, sprockets, tires.
  • And other misc stuff that I forgot
  • :thinking: Heck I'd probably have gotten a new bike long before this.
:shocked: That's a lot of money and it's only the maintenance items. Include the stuff that wears out or you break......:eek:

You seem to keep on thinking that the cost of riding is only the price of the bike and gas (<--forgot that one above). Dirt bikes/motocross is a very expensive sport/hobby. :bonk:

Also after hearing you talk about your family's financial standing, I don't really think it's practical to get a bike. Especially if you're pawning items just to try and stay afloat. Look at me, I didn't start riding until I was 19 and everything I have now I bought myself. You're 14, go back to school and get at least your high school done. After that go and get a job and start making some money so that you can get yourself a bike. Sorry a little harsh, but life isn't all sunshine and lollipops. :noidea:

EDIT: One thing I forgot was that if you do decide to get a bike, remember that you'll probably have to replace the piston, cam chain, and valves right away as there's no way of truly knowing their condition.

:lol: That's about what I'm thinking.

honestly i didnt read everyones post :smirk: so im not sure what has been covered.

1 have u looked at a ktm 144 or 150? a lot more bottom end than a 125.

2 i race a ktm 144sx (in the woods) and im super hard on it!!!! and i race every weekend and wen i just go out and trail ride its hard single track for about 100-120 miles and i rebuild mine every 6 months it doenst need it but i do it anyway. the books say to do it way more than what u really need to.

3 i like 2t cuz (in my opinion) there more fun to ride. the other reason is cuz they are so EASY to work on i can rebuild a top end on a 2T (tear down and put back together) in an hour and a half. 4t iv never done one so i couldnt tell u but i can tell u theres alot more moving parts, things to break, and a lot more things to adjust.

my 2 cents hope it helps :thumb:

honestly i didnt read everyones post :smirk: so im not sure what has been covered.

2 i race a ktm 144sx (in the woods) and im super hard on it!!!! and i race every weekend and wen i just go out and trail ride its hard single track for about 100-120 miles and i rebuild mine every 6 months it doenst need it but i do it anyway. the books say to do it way more than what u really need to.

3 i like 2t cuz (in my opinion) there more fun to ride. the other reason is cuz they are so EASY to work on i can rebuild a top end on a 2T (tear down and put back together) in an hour and a half. 4t iv never done one so i couldnt tell u but i can tell u theres alot more moving parts, things to break, and a lot more things to adjust.

racing 120 miles of st in a weekend? :shocked: I couldn't do that, 60 miles of washington st wipes me out for like 3 days.

Get a 2 stroke. KDX200/220. Ride it til the wheels fall off. Things are almost as bulletproof as XR's and WAY more fun. Doesn't matter if it blows up, it's not that expensive to fix. Spending money replacing parts just cause the manual says the service interval is x hours is a waste. What you are supposed to do is MEASURE it that often and determine if you are still within service limits for yourself.

Get a 2 stroke. KDX200/220. Ride it til the wheels fall off. Things are almost as bulletproof as XR's and WAY more fun. Doesn't matter if it blows up, it's not that expensive to fix. Spending money replacing parts just cause the manual says the service interval is x hours is a waste. What you are supposed to do is MEASURE it that often and determine if you are still within service limits for yourself.

This man speaks no lies!

they can easily go over 100hrs of trail riding, mike was talking about mx.

im not sure what the guy used it for as far as i know he rode it on the track but may not have raced but idk

you aren't supposed to ride a bike until it blows up... :bonk:
70hrs on a 125 or even an 85 is insane... 40hrs tops on them with Wiseco pistons... My buddy does the piston on his CRF450 every 75hrs, manual says every 60. He races every sunday and a practices the day before. He occasionally does a mid week practice too.... I don't know what to tell you other than I know for a fact that if you DO NOT stick to the very strict maintenance routine outlined in the manual it ends in disaster.

really? :noidea: i rode my RM untill it wouldn't start :lol: of course i didn't know what was happening since i had never owned a 2 stroke and becuase i expected it to last longer since my friend has an 05 YZ85 that he has ridden for nearly 2 years on the SAME top end and most likely the same oil yet that thing still runs just as good as my RM maybe hes just lucky but i know for a fact he hasn't done or had the shop do a top end and he rides it pretty hard

First off what kind of riding are you doing? I thought you'd said that you'd be doing MX and if that's the case, 300 hrs is an INSANE amount. Getting 300 hrs out of an engine is pretty much impossible unless you just putt around. I'd probably already have gone through:

• 3-5 pistons - $200 each
  • 2-3 sets of valves - $425 each
  • 3-5 cam chains - $40 each
  • 80-100 oil changes (1.25 L per change) - $300 total
  • 40-50 oil filters - $4 each
  • 200-300 air filter cleanings
  • a few suspension rebuilds
  • 10-20 exhaust repackings - $7 each
  • an unknown amount of chains, sprockets, tires.
  • And other misc stuff that I forgot
  • :thinking: Heck I'd probably have gotten a new bike long before this.
:shocked: That's a lot of money and it's only the maintenance items. Include the stuff that wears out or you break......:eek:

You seem to keep on thinking that the cost of riding is only the price of the bike and gas (<--forgot that one above). Dirt bikes/motocross is a very expensive sport/hobby. :bonk:

Also after hearing you talk about your family's financial standing, I don't really think it's practical to get a bike. Especially if you're pawning items just to try and stay afloat. Look at me, I didn't start riding until I was 19 and everything I have now I bought myself. You're 14, go back to school and get at least your high school done. After that go and get a job and start making some money so that you can get yourself a bike. Sorry a little harsh, but life isn't all sunshine and lollipops. :noidea:

EDIT: One thing I forgot was that if you do decide to get a bike, remember that you'll probably have to replace the piston, cam chain, and valves right away as there's no way of truly knowing their condition.

:lol: That's about what I'm thinking.

like i said my time aren't accurate so ill watch the clock to see about how much i ride a week

haha i would love a KTM 144 or 150 but its hard to find a good deal on a KTM and it pretty hard to find a KTM to begin with (at least here) from what i'v seen on c-list the most popular KTM around here is like 00-01 200EXCs

lol i wouldn't mind a KDX but they're just as hard to find a deal on as a KTM, there may be 1 on c-list at a time and it will be a late 90's model and they'll be askin 2k lmao

yeah i know what you mean about the replacing parts thing i have an 04 CRF80 that has never had anything replaced for the most part.

James

Staff member
Spending money replacing parts just cause the manual says the service interval is x hours is a waste. What you are supposed to do is MEASURE it that often and determine if you are still within service limits for yourself.
:thumb: Calipers and feeler gauges are your best friend.

lol i wouldn't mind a KDX but they're just as hard to find a deal on as a KTM, there may be 1 on c-list at a time and it will be a late 90's model and they'll be askin 2k lmao

I don't know where in WV you are but...
There are 3 on Morgantown CL for ~$1500 right now. All year 2000 or newer. Not that the year matters. A solid bike is a solid bike.

I don't know where in WV you are but...
There are 3 on Morgantown CL for ~$1500 right now. All year 2000 or newer. Not that the year matters. A solid bike is a solid bike.

morgantown aint far if i get a good deal lol i went to PA to get my 85 like a 4 hour drive

Sudu,
Just ask Buck to sell ya an XR.... Gas tires and oil thats all they ever need ever..
Disclaimer* you may need wear items or items that get busted on the trail... clutch levers and such...:rolleyes:

Sudu,
Just ask Buck to sell ya an XR.... Gas tires and oil thats all they ever need ever..
Disclaimer* you may need wear items or items that get busted on the trail... clutch levers and such...:rolleyes:

:prof: i want water cooled so if something ever happens and i get good i wont frie anything :lol: of course if i wreck and bust a rad that wont be fun for me or my dads wallet lmao

:prof: i want water cooled so if something ever happens and i get good i wont frie anything :lol: of course if i wreck and bust a rad that wont be fun for me or my dads wallet lmao

Al Baker ran XRs in the Baja1000 and never cooked one off.... He was really good...

Al Baker ran XRs in the Baja1000 and never cooked one off.... He was really good...

cool i may get an XR then if i find a good deal, i think im gonna look at the KDXs if i get the money i plan on getting then i may be able to get a KTM 200EXC but i was kinda wanting an MX bike so i could ride on a track if i ever get the chance and if i get the money i want i could afford a 250 2t heck 2000 and 2001 KX250's are going for next to nothing here ($1200)

If.

Never mind.

But really you should consider a kawai or maybe a Suzuki or maybe a yamaha or maybe penton or maybe a bull taco or may e a maico.

I don't k ow there are lots of options you never know when you may want to ride a track or a trail or the forest or maybe even the pavement.

:thinking:

What to do.