help me decide on my next bike...

i know the first thought most of you got was :picard: as soon as you heard me say anything about getting a new bike but just help me out...

ok so im deffinetly wanting to move to a 125 or 250f and at this point in leaning more towards a 250f becuase i like 4 strokes low end power and thats just me maybe its because iv been on 4 stroke quads and bikes for 5 years but idk...i mentioned getting a 125 the other day my exact words were "i want a YZ125" and as soon as i said that my dad said "i think you should go 4 stroke" and i found an amazing deal on a 2001 YZ125 the other day and my dad wouldn't let me get it even tho i could get the money in no time flat so i think my dads gonna more less force me to get a 4 stroke lol so i guess im gonna clean up my bakes real good after the ride at crow canyon and get them sold if i get what i want i should have around $1500 then another $200 for the scrap im hauling in so $1700 then i will get about $300 from my summer jobs so at the end of summer i should have 2k saved up plus the $20 a month my dad gives me just because so i may have up to 2200 by the end off summer to spend i just want to set a goal (bike) to work for, maybe give me more motivation. so bikes i have in mind are the KX250F, YZ250F, RMZ250, RM125, YZ125, CR125, and KX125...i mainly need info on maintnece cost of the bikes if my guestamites are right its about the same as IMO 4 stroke is 1 rebuild a year and according to prices iv seen floating around here it looks like a 4 stroke rebuild is around $500 for the DIY guys and the 2 stroke 125 (as much as i ride) would need rebuilt about every month since i ride about 50hrs per month and at about $120 per rebuild it would cost me over 600 a year for a 2 stroke so one of my main questions is will a 4 stroke go about 300hrs before it needs rebuilt? if it will i may go 4 stroke like my dad is suggesting since i like 4 strokes low end and mellow power the 2 strokes "light switch" power kinda gets annoying when you ride with a group who are usually on slow utility quads.

so to break it down my questions are

1. will a 250f hold up to 300hrs of low to mid RPM riding?

2. if so what would be the best out of the older models (2002-2008) 250fs (i preffer kawasaki and suzuki as the yami/honda dealers employees are butt heads and the kawi/zook guys are cooler than the other side of the pillow)

3. if i decide to argue with my dad till he lets me get a 125 what would be the best 125?

thanks

btw, prices are based on riding about 50hrs per month 6 months out of the year

Honestly?

we've been answering this question alot for you... do you have some $$ to spend? can you afford the maintenance on a 4t?( Remember its more than just a piston and rings, its also gaskets and valves and timing chains etc etc when you do a top end, alot of which has time limits.) I think your expectations are at best, far fetched. This is not a kind sport for the wallet. While you may want to race and its everything your heart desires at this moment you need to face the facts. If you just want to ride then get whatever bike becomes available for you to ride and later in life you'll be able to return to the sport, hopefully with an outstanding college education and a excellent job to fund your "hobby". If you want to be the next Ricky Carmichael then thats gone unless BOTH your parents back you 100% emotionally and monetarily. Trust me I've been there and without a support group its not happening. Sorry... So find a bigger bike whether its a CRF, YZ, RMX, KX, 4T or 2T and go have some fun.
(Yammi makes the most dependable 250f motor by the way).

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

i have owned both 4 strokes and 2 stroke and..
the 4 strokes are deff more expensive to rebuild...
it all matters what u will be doing with the bike and i read u will be doing alot of low to mid rpm riding
so i would go with a 4 stroke cause 2 strokes are most effective in powerband {high rpm}
also i currently ride a 2 stroke for trails and ill b honest its a real pain in the @#$ when u gotta get more gas when ure out riding
and with the 4 stroke u can pull up to the pump and refill
but with the 2 stroke u gotta carry a backpack with a measuring cup and oil to mix..trust me its a pain
but yeah hope i helped u a bit
plus besides that wonderful smell of a a 2 stroke and the rush u get from powerband..i say go with the 4 stroke they have good power all through the rpm's
i had a xr 600 and ill tell u it was hell on 2 wheels that bike was a monster..
i could putt around on that bike while everyone else was wide open tryin to keep up!!!!! :thumb: :P

I think a monkey bike would be fitting
huffy-monkey-bike.jpg

Honestly?

we've been answering this question alot for you... do you have some $$ to spend? can you afford the maintenance on a 4t?( Remember its more than just a piston and rings, its also gaskets and valves and timing chains etc etc when you do a top end, alot of which has time limits.) I think your expectations are at best, far fetched. This is not a kind sport for the wallet. While you may want to race and its everything your heart desires at this moment you need to face the facts. If you just want to ride then get whatever bike becomes available for you to ride and later in life you'll be able to return to the sport, hopefully with an outstanding college education and a excellent job to fund your "hobby". If you want to be the next Ricky Carmichael then thats gone unless BOTH your parents back you 100% emotionally and monetarily. Trust me I've been there and without a support group its not happening. Sorry... So find a bigger bike whether its a CRF, YZ, RMX, KX, 4T or 2T and go have some fun.
(Yammi makes the most dependable 250f motor by the way).

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

not sure on the money part...if it can hold up to about 300hrs of use before it needs rebuilt then yeah i think i can swing it, and i realize oil changes will cost more because they use oil filters and stuff but i think i can swing that to. do you think a 2002-2005 YZ250Fs would be good? i find alot of them for 1200-1400.

yeah i now what you mean about the support :rolleyes: my dad thinks i should be able to practice by myself...funny thing is i get more support from my moms stalker ex boyfriend...

not sure on the money part...if it can hold up to about 300hrs of use before it needs rebuilt then yeah i think i can swing it, and i realize oil changes will cost more because they use oil filters and stuff but i think i can swing that to. do you think a 2002-2005 YZ250Fs would be good? i find alot of them for 1200-1400.

yeah i now what you mean about the support :rolleyes: my dad thinks i should be able to practice by myself...funny thing is i get more support from my moms stalker ex boyfriend...

300hrs is ALOT of time man. I think you are supposed to do the topend every 70hrs on the 4Ts...40-50 if you race. (I think)
Oil needs to be changed every other ride ( rotella 15w40 works great in my TTR) clean airfilter every ride....
suspension needs to be freshened up every 40+ hrs...
There's alot more to it than just "lawnmower maintenance"...

300hrs is ALOT of time man. I think you are supposed to do the topend every 70hrs on the 4Ts...40-50 if you race. (I think)
Oil needs to be changed every other ride ( rotella 15w40 works great in my TTR) clean airfilter every ride....
suspension needs to be freshened up every 40+ hrs...
There's alot more to it than just "lawnmower maintenance"...

crap!!! really??? if they go at 70hrs then 4 strokes are a joke...hell i could push a 125 to 70hrs heck i probly put 70hrs on my 85 before it went

EDIT: i think ill watch the clock over the next week of riding my 85 to see how many hours i put on it...70hrs sounds like alot but then again not much thats what 4 days time? i ride 3-7 hours on most days in the summer (well thats my "guesstament") i may be over exagerating my ride time but i know i put more time on my bikes than the average rider but im easy on them most of the time...i like to get in 2nd or 3rd and ride around the trails and dirt roads and im mostly in the lower RPM's probly the only time i get t in the high RPM's is when i climb a hill...i guess ill figure out if i get a 250F huh?

crap!!! really??? if they go at 70hrs then 4 strokes are a joke...hell i could push a 125 to 70hrs heck i probly put 70hrs on my 85 before it went

EDIT: i think ill watch the clock over the next week of riding my 85 to see how many hours i put on it...70hrs sounds like alot but then again not much thats what 4 days time? i ride 3-7 hours on most days in the summer (well thats my "guesstament") i may be over exagerating my ride time but i know i put more time on my bikes than the average rider but im easy on them most of the time...i like to get in 2nd or 3rd and ride around the trails and dirt roads and im mostly in the lower RPM's probly the only time i get t in the high RPM's is when i climb a hill...i guess ill figure out if i get a 250F huh?
you need an hour meter to accurately judge engine time, just saying...

I ran a fast paced 30 miles woods ride on sunday in under 1.5hrs, and was too tired to do anything the rest of the day...

you need an hour meter to accurately judge engine time, just saying...

I ran a fast paced 30 miles woods ride on sunday in under 1.5hrs, and was too tired to do anything the rest of the day...

even if i ride only 1 hour a day (which may be all i ride)then i will still need to rebuild a 250F every 2 months but IMO i think a 250F will last longer than 70hrs becuase on dirt rider a dude had an 04 YZ250F with over 100hrs on the hour meter and it had never been rebuilt and was still running like new but who knows maybe he was just lucky :noidea:

even if i ride only 1 hour a day (which may be all i ride)then i will still need to rebuild a 250F every 2 months but IMO i think a 250F will last longer than 70hrs becuase on dirt rider a dude had an 04 YZ250F with over 100hrs on the hour meter and it had never been rebuilt and was still running like new but who knows maybe he was just lucky :noidea:
they can easily go over 100hrs of trail riding, mike was talking about mx.

you aren't supposed to ride a bike until it blows up... :bonk:
70hrs on a 125 or even an 85 is insane... 40hrs tops on them with Wiseco pistons... My buddy does the piston on his CRF450 every 75hrs, manual says every 60. He races every sunday and a practices the day before. He occasionally does a mid week practice too.... I don't know what to tell you other than I know for a fact that if you DO NOT stick to the very strict maintenance routine outlined in the manual it ends in disaster.