Help me choose a right bike for me

For a guy that is just completely new to bikes, you want something that is easy and forgiving to ride, and something that does not require a lot of maintenance. If you are just going to poke around on local trails, climbs, and country roads, I'd look for an 02 to 04 Honda XR250R. (Its a 4 stroke that you can lug down to the last RPM and still go 70mph on) They are bullet proof, torquey, easy and forgiving to ride, require little maintenance, and can go all day in 5th gear on a gallon and a half of gas.

+ one hundred on What Buck said, now if you want something with a little more suspension try a new crf250x it is the trail version of the newer race bikes and has a better suspension than the XR but does require allot more maintenance.

thanks. would this bike work?
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2434854237.html
I know its not enough details about this bike.

XR's are nearly indestructible 4 stroke trail bikes, if you get one you can ride it for forever. and 1800 is a good price for an 02, but the 250 only puts about 20 HP to the ground, so it doesn't even compare with modern 250f's that put over 30 to the ground. If you want more power try the XR400 just as good and puts ~30 hp to the ground :thumb:

really? what limits them from revving? I've never heard of a 2 stroke rev limiter... so please do explain

does he mean on low rpm? My friend who is a dirt bike racer, he has a guy that work on his bike (his bike mechanic), he explain me that kind of bike are meant to be go fast on any gears but not long distance or it will break the piston.

which is the best for 2 or 4 stroke?

does he mean on low rpm? My friend who is a dirt bike racer, he has a guy that work on his bike (his bike mechanic), he explain me that kind of bike are meant to be go fast on any gears but not long distance or it will break the piston.

which is the best for 2 or 4 stroke?
4 stroke, for sustained high speeds

so whats the horsepower for the 125cc?

125's put out anywhere from 29-35HP depending on the make and model of the bike

And jos is right 2 strokes fire every revolution which is extra stress on the piston.

I'm not trying to make this into a debate he, but i saw this chart on TT about the break down in prices for rebuilds and regular maintenance. If you follow the recommended rebuild intervals 2 strokes and 4 strokes cost about the same including oils and premix, but if you are just talking the rebuild costs.. 4strokes cost much much more

For a guy that is just completely new to bikes, you want something that is easy and forgiving to ride, and something that does not require a lot of maintenance. If you are just going to poke around on local trails, climbs, and country roads, I'd look for an 02 to 04 Honda XR250R. (Its a 4 stroke that you can lug down to the last RPM and still go 70mph on) They are bullet proof, torquey, easy and forgiving to ride, require little maintenance, and can go all day in 5th gear on a gallon and a half of gas.

thanks. would this bike work?
http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2434854237.html
I know its not enough details about this bike.

That looks good! I would seriously look into that one. If you do, PM me the details and better photos if available, and I can give you a good read on it. The aftermarket things a bike may have are not as important as how the bike was taken care of. I can give you all the things you need to look at closely on an XR. The list isn't long, and even a novice can discover the important things he needs to know about the bike. I'll be glad to help! :thumb:

No offense to others, but this talk about horsepower is something a new guy doesn't need to hear about. What you want is tractable power. The ability of the bike to use its power in a controlled manner throughout the gears in different situations. A four stroke will do this with more control for a novice rider than a two stroke. That's why I'm still going with the XR250R as a great learning bike. It has all the tractable power necessary to power up hills, trails, and go 70 mph for a 180 lb adult. Newer 4 strokes require more maintenance, and involved valve maintenance that is not what a new guy needs to do. You need to RIDE and get hooked and ADDICTED! Then the addiction will force you into even more dangerous things...you will have no control at that point, and you will become your own dealer! :devil: That XR250R you posted should probably go for around $1500 depending on condition and spiffs. Looks like it has an aftermarket pipe, (probably rejetted carb) and some handguards. That a good start.

2007 Honda CRF250R with 4 stroke would work? I might trade my bike plus money for this 2007 honda. it will have a new engine in it.

hmm.. the dirt bike race mechanic said this crf250r is almost like same as street legal bike but without lights. As long you dont keep it wide open too long.

sorry I was out of state for the weekend, tubing in the river near valentine, Neb. had blast and alot of sunburn.