How hard should it be to disengage the pressure plate with my fingers or screwdriver or something? I ordered my springs and frixtion/steels online but maybe I was sent the wrong ones? The springs feel the same as the old ones( a little stiffer, probably because they are new) and I'm not sure about the plates. I got rid of the old ones so can't compare. How many should I have of each?

Sorry, I posted the wrong picture of your clutch back at the beginning of this thread.

Here is the breakdown on a Suzuki OEM parts page:

It looks like you should have 8 fiber plates (drive), and 7 metal plates (driven). You probably won't be able to disengage the pressure plate with your fingers if the springs are installed.

Yes, the smaller piece is a bearing and it does move fine, all of it is there and I have the correct amount of fiber and steels. I have no idea what to do here. I dont want to have to buy parts right now especially if all of my stuff looks good and not worn. Any tests I can do to figure this out?

You may have said that you tried this, but I'm not sure - If you have all of the clutch plates out, pressure plate and springs out, and the bike is in neutral, can you spin the inner and outer clutch baskets independently? #5 and #1 will spin separately - you can spin one, one way, and spin the other the opposite direction without them both spinning together? Just trying to see if the inner and outer baskets are somehow stuck together. Kinda running out of ideas here and without seeing it, not sure where to go.
If that works, you could slowly build from there to see where the problem is. Try putting the plates in and the pressure plate on, leaving the springs off, and see if you can rotate the outer clutch basket with the kickstarter with the bike in gear and the back wheel on the ground or immobilized. If that works, then it's got to be something in the pressure plate/springs/those pieces we've looked at to disengage the pressure plate. One other thing I thought of looking at that picture; the pressure plate isn't hitting against anything, blocking it from coming out when the side cover is installed with everything in place; is it?

You may have said that you tried this, but I'm not sure - If you have all of the clutch plates out, pressure plate and springs out, and the bike is in neutral, can you spin the inner and outer clutch baskets independently? #5 and #1 will spin separately - you can spin one, one way, and spin the other the opposite direction without them both spinning together? Just trying to see if the inner and outer baskets are somehow stuck together. Kinda running out of ideas here and without seeing it, not sure where to go.
If that works, you could slowly build from there to see where the problem is. Try putting the plates in and the pressure plate on, leaving the springs off, and see if you can rotate the outer clutch basket with the kickstarter with the bike in gear and the back wheel on the ground or immobilized. If that works, then it's got to be something in the pressure plate/springs/those pieces we've looked at to disengage the pressure plate. One other thing I thought of looking at that picture; the pressure plate isn't hitting against anything, blocking it from coming out when the side cover is installed with everything in place; is it?
Okay, I know that the basket and hub do spin separately, ill try the rest out tomorrow or Saturday

Okay, I have checked everything and it's all good. But with everything together the gear seems to have some play in it. Maybe like half an inch, what would that be?

16264832184391702520620539921595.jpg16264832441737418619326649328025.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
That seems like an appropriate amount of play in the clutch mechanism.
Turn it all the way clockwise and you should be able to depress the clutch springs with the lever in the clockwise direction. Probably need a large wrench for leverage to actuate it by hand.
If you were to try it with no clutch springs, it shouldn't take any effort at all to disengage the clutch plates. -BIG DAN:thumb:

20210716_202839.jpg20210716_202842.jpg
First picture is clutch lever not pulled in. Second one is lever pulled all the way in. I have tension the whole time. Lever springs back. Feels like it should be disengaging the clutch but it's not. Does it need to be pulling even farther than that?

Last edited:
Not sure what to tell you. If you have the bike in gear, wheels on the ground, and the clutch lever pulled in, can you roll the bike forward or backwards without the rear wheel skidding like it's locked up? Don't know if that may break something loose or give you an idea what's going on. Only other suggestion is to pull out one each of the plates, put it all together and see if it does the same thing. Don't try to run it that way, just trying to see if it's the plates locking things up.

Not sure what to tell you. If you have the bike in gear, wheels on the ground, and the clutch lever pulled in, can you roll the bike forward or backwards without the rear wheel skidding like it's locked up? Don't know if that may break something loose or give you an idea what's going on. Only other suggestion is to pull out one each of the plates, put it all together and see if it does the same thing. Don't try to run it that way, just trying to see if it's the plates locking things up.
I dont think it's the plates, through out the whole process any time I took them out I put them back in 1 by 1. And when it was in gear and I used the kick start without the springs the steels spun separate from the fibers no problem. And they were and still are soaked. I guess one of my last options is to just let it run in neutral for a good 30 minutes before putting it into any gear and see what happens. I mean one of the most basic things to do but I'm at a loss right now. If that doesn't work I'll have to look into a shop

From what you just described, it sounds like the pressure plate isn’t pulling away far enough when you pull the clutch lever in (when springs installed). Wish I could be there to see it; not sure what else to offer in advice.
Edit: I see you’re in Houston - what part of town are you in? I live down in League City.

Last edited: