Okay, so I recently received a 1992 suzuki rm 125 for free. It was thought to be a lost cause since it was chained to a tree for 20+ years, maybe more. (Not to sure how long all I know is that the tree grew into the bike and around the chain) but anyways I took it apart and fixed it up and it turned over and ran. Sounded great too. Put the chain on it and started it up in neutral, ran it for about 30 seconds. whiling holding the clutch in (as well as the brake (for safety reasons)) I put it into first gear and it instantly started doing a burnout. This is my first bike so I have no idea what's going on. I know it's not the basket because I have filed them smooth. Has new fibers and steels. I have ruled out the cable because I went straight to the case and try doing the clutch with some vice grips and it won't disengage that way either. Everything looks fine inside so I'm at a lose for what it could be. Any ideas?

When you pull in the lever, do you feel tension and the pressure plate moving? Also, before you installed the new fiber plates, did you soak them in oil?

When you pull in the lever, do you feel tension and the pressure plate moving? Also, before you installed the new fiber plates, did you soak them in oil?
Yes, i soaked them. And yes and no. At first it did have tension and the lever would rebound to normal position but it still didn't disengage the clutch. I later lost tension and it wouldn't rebound after a hard pull on the lever. But if I skip the cable all together and go to activate the clutch by hand (with vice grips) it still doesn't disengage the clutch, it just spins and I hear clicking. Nothing looks broken though, all looks good

The lever sticking problem may be the cable locking up. Sounds like the pressure plate is not disengaging when you use the vise grips. Is the trust bearing (#20) in good shape? And, from the parts diagram, it looks like there is a washer (#19) that goes between the trust bearing and the pressure plate. Is it there and not worn? Another thing, the small bearing is in place (#18)? I had those fall out, not missed them until I had everything back together, and tried to use the clutch.

1982_RM250_clutch.jpg

Last edited:
The lever sticking problem may be the cable locking up. Sounds like the pressure plate is not disengaging when you use the vise grips. Is the trust bearing (#20) in good shape? And, from the parts diagram, it looks like there is a washer (#19) that goes between the trust bearing and the pressure plate. Is it there and not worn? Another thing, the small bearing is in place (#18)? I had those fall out, not missed them until I had everything back together, and tried to use the clutch.

View attachment 33575
Okay, ill take a look at those 3 tomorrow and update you on how they look

Okay, so where is this #18, 19, and 20 supposed to be located? Inside this hole? Because I don't see anything inside of it.

Attachments

• 16262105271706038386404717081611.jpg
    16262105271706038386404717081611.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 7