250 HELP 2004 KX250 Basket case

I have only worked on one bike that had a certain gear it needed to be in when assembled, though most of mine end up being in neutral. The original 5 speed that haunted husqvarnas in 72 required it be assembled with the drum set BETWEEN 2nd and 3rd. Otherwise, you didn't get ALL 5 when you put it back together.
That sounds like a major pain in the ass.

All gears shift when not together, but then when i put it together nothing moves. I think it shifts but it looks like everything is moving side to side
Did you replace any bearings? if so, they are not completely seated. If not, there has to be something binding, like added washer or?

Did you replace any bearings? if so, they are not completely seated. If not, there has to be something binding, like added washer or?

No bearings repoaced to my knowledge. Everything is seated properly i went over them all first. No added washers although i do feel the gear pack with the clutch rod through it needs a washer on the end. Looks like the gear closest to the stator can just pop off and rub up against the case.

oh in the end I was glad for it. the silver lining to the cloud was that after having one back and forth together and apart for an evening(I got way better and popping one apart and putting it back together than I wanted to be) I called the distributor for help, and since the bike was so new to this side of the pond they just gave me the phone number to one of their dealers who knew the bike already. first conversation I had with Malcom Smith ensued.

Ha, would have thought they would have given you George Erl's number.
oh in the end I was glad for it. the silver lining to the cloud was that after having one back and forth together and apart for an evening(I got way better and popping one apart and putting it back together than I wanted to be) I called the distributor for help, and since the bike was so new to this side of the pond they just gave me the phone number to one of their dealers who knew the bike already. first conversation I had with Malcom Smith ensued.

George didn't appear on the map quite like Malcom Smith did/does. His part in the original "On Any Sunday" basically put Husqvarna on everyone's list of new words too. "housewife" never sounded so wild, unless you watched some of the movies being made in the San Fernando Valley, about then.

George didn't appear on the map quite like Malcom Smith did/does. His part in the original "On Any Sunday" basically put Husqvarna on everyone's list of new words too. "housewife" never sounded so wild, unless you watched some of the movies being made in the San Fernando Valley, about then.
While Malcolm was in the lime light, George was in the Marines. Sometimes your choice of life is given by the draft. During the course of knowing George, every bike that had a problem, Malcolm couldn't fix it was brought to George at the order of manufacturer. Funny thing, OAS made Malcolm well known, but he wasn't the guy working on and running his shop nor the go to guy from the manufacturer for questions. Just a name as far as I know.
I could have bought a bike at MS shop for 500 less than Uptite, but then, I would just be another owner of a husky that needed work. So, the 500 extra, friendship, gained knowledge George has given me surpasses a discount, and my Husky was flawless. Been to Mexico with George and big group a couple times, visit him once or twice a month. I've met Malcolm, I find George more personable than him.
Also, don't think you will find a chain tensioner, skid plate, pipe gaurd, and numerous other parts handcrafted by an owner of a shop like Uptite.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Malcolm has done great for "motorcycles", but he try's to talk you into a KTM not a husky. That has probably changed now that they are married and Husaberg is DONE.

Last edited:
Everything I asked Malcom about came out good. 8 dollars and I had a full husqvarna manual that looked thicker than the dictionary you saw in the library. I like Malcom's approach. It made him rich. But hell, I can probably fix one better than lots of guys that seem to be famous for doing that. I have friends who made things for everyone and it is/was funny to hear them talk about the "legends". Roadrace, flattrack, desert, isdt, motocross, and supercross.