250 HELP 2004 KX250 Basket case

Hello evreryone, Im new to this thread because I recently picked up a 2004 kx 250 in boxes. So I began organizing everything and getting the cases ready to put back together. New crank bearings, seals and crank. All the other bearings feel fine and spin smoothly. SO i go to put the transmission back together and it spins ok when its in just half the case, but when I put the other half on the transmission locks up. I have done this process about 5 times already with the same result. I have tripled check the schematics for the tranny and gear drum with forks and everything is where it should be. Any help guys would be great. Ive been building bikes for years idk why this one is giving me such a hard time.

I love basket cases! They're like a box of chocolates...
Out of curiosity, how much did you pick it up for?

Not sure what your issue may be, but I would re-triple check, then do that again, while waiting for a reply from some of the big boys here. That is how I do things and it seems to work for me.
I'm sure they'll be along soon...good luck.
And show some pics!

Hello evreryone, Im new to this thread because I recently picked up a 2004 kx 250 in boxes. So I began organizing everything and getting the cases ready to put back together. New crank bearings, seals and crank. All the other bearings feel fine and spin smoothly. SO i go to put the transmission back together and it spins ok when its in just half the case, but when I put the other half on the transmission locks up. I have done this process about 5 times already with the same result. I have tripled check the schematics for the tranny and gear drum with forks and everything is where it should be. Any help guys would be great. Ive been building bikes for years idk why this one is giving me such a hard time.

Hard to say what it is, but if the gears are not contained where they should be positionwise, and the drum is trying to engage two gear ratios at the same time, it locks. when you say schematics are you using an actual manual?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I have rarely had cases go together smoothly after bearings get changed. Make sure all the bearings are properly seated and that the transmission shafts have everything in the correct order.
I like to spin the trans and shift it while installing, helps prevent binding of components between gears. Usually takes me a few tries to get everything lined up in the transmission area.
The crank side goes much easier with a puller.
Have patience and good luck! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks guys ill take another look. I picked it up for 750 off a buddy of mine. It came with all new crank, top end including cylinder and a whole new clutch basket and plates. Ive done alot of bikes before and have never had an issue, but then again im usually the one tearing them down and organzing everything not searching through boxes . And no im just using motosport schematic. Im just fixing this bike to flip so i really dont want to buy a manual but if someone has a pdf id really appreciate it. Also you guys wanna see some pics?

Congrats on the awesome find! $750 is a streal. I have an 03 kx250. Did my top and bottom about 10 months ago and she's bullet proof. Any pix?

A service manual for this bike is cheap. It would also help with the sale of the bike when finished.
It would be a very good investment!
Are you sure you are putting the trans in neutral when installing it?
Also, I have to assume the clutch if off the trans shaft as well, right?

Paw Paw

Looks like the Etown start gate in your avatar.
You would be correct. It is Etown. I race there and field of dreams in millville

A service manual for this bike is cheap. It would also help with the sale of the bike when finished.
It would be a very good investment!
Are you sure you are putting the trans in neutral when installing it?
Also, I have to assume the clutch if off the trans shaft as well, right?

Paw Paw

Thanks for the response. Ill look into getting a manual, and im gonna mess with it today and make sure im in neutral. Does it matter to install in neutral?

I have only worked on one bike that had a certain gear it needed to be in when assembled, though most of mine end up being in neutral. The original 5 speed that haunted husqvarnas in 72 required it be assembled with the drum set BETWEEN 2nd and 3rd. Otherwise, you didn't get ALL 5 when you put it back together.