Helmet Camera

Ok, I might be doing my first hare scramble coming up on the 13th. If I am going to do it I want it on video.

Someone break it down for me.

Looks to be three options right now.

1) Go Pro HD Helmet HERO

2) Contour HD

3) Contour GPS

Pro and Con me. I just started looking into this :P so allow me to be lazy.
I'll update as I find more info.

go with the Gopro but get the new version that does not have 1080p. it is a little cheaper and you wont end up using the 1080p much anyway... its just too taxing on most PC's and if your uploading to youtube most people wont be able to watch it in 1080p Plus 920p is still really good looking anyway.

The man detractor for me is the bulky form factor on the Go Pro.

sounds like you have your mind made up then.... really tho your best bet is the GoPro even if it is bulky... Why are you concerned anyway? ive never had mine rip off... ive had mine fall off but it was my own fault... i tightened down the clip way to much which caused them to break.

im not sure what kind of options the others have as far as mounting goes but you have LOTS of different options with the gopro.

I run the Epic Wide which I like because it is small and mounts on top of the helmet and does not stick up that high. The bad thing is the noise because the mic is inside the unit and you have no control over it so you get a lot of wind noise. The new Epic HD has the mic in the back so you will not get that noise. I am looking at upgrading to that one. I do not think the memory is the same as the GoPro because it will only allow for a 16g card. But it is another option.

Travace where do you mount it usually? From the vids I have seen of go pro, on the front of the chin bar seems like the spot.

Travace where do you mount it usually? From the vids I have seen of go pro, on the front of the chin bar seems like the spot.

i like to play around... i have a handlebar mount i sometime use. other times i have it mounted to the side of my helmet. I also mount it right on top of my helmet as well. Also put it on the swingarm of my bike and went to the track with it once. It broke the mount if i tightened it down enough to where it wouldnt move. I have lots of footage here http://www.youtube.com/user/Travace watch a few and you will see. Also remember watching it on youtube(even in the highest res) it looses quality. The raw files look real nice.

The video is to dark or to bright. The software sucks. I get purple lines in the video. The hd has a fish eye look to it.The back flap that holds the battery in is working loose and will cause cam to stop recording. Worst of all, It shows how slow I really am:shocked:

The video is to dark or to bright. The software sucks. I get purple lines in the video. The hd has a fish eye look to it.The back flap that holds the battery in is working loose and will cause cam to stop recording. Worst of all, It shows how slow I really am:shocked:
You need to speed the film up like I do....:smirk:

The gopro does seem to stick up a bit but gives you some good video i really haven't seen the others in person so i really couldn't say