Headlights Stay On Via the 'On Switch" When Bike Is Off??(Not My Bike)

hi guys. this isn't regarding my bike, my bike is fine however ive been riding with a mate and during our last ride, his battery went flat and suddenly couldn't crank the bike over. his bike also has no kick starter and where we were was a little hard to roll start it...got it started eventually though.

im not sure if its his battery or the way his lighting is wired but he uses a light switch on the bars, when the switch is in the 'off' position, the lights are off but when the switch is in the 'on' position, even if the bike is off or isn't running/idling, the lights stay on until he turns the lights off via the switch.
i know on my bike, i can have the light switch in the 'on' position but they won't actually turn on until the bike has been started/is running, then turn straight back off again when bike shuts off.

anyway, he went riding today and told me that his lights were always left off and the bike hadn't been started for a few days but when he went to unload the bike, the bike had a flat battery and wouldn't crank over again.
i know the easy fix was for him to just not ride with his lights on but even though his lights weren't on, the battery still drained.

so im just wondering, what does it sound like the problem is? i say it's battery related or a bit of both.

battery related if you ask me.... needs to be tested as well as the charging system.
What bike and is it an aftermarket lighting system? Here in the states as long as the key is on the lights will come on, running or not.

its a Yamaha TTR230 2006 model.
He went ahead and purchased a new battery already which is arriving in the mail but I told him to get it checked out before doing anything because i thought it could be the way the lights are wired so just wanted to find out for him.
It is an aftermarket lighting kit. I'm from Australia so its a bit different here, lights don't normally come on without the key or when the bike is running. As far as I know anyway. Like mine.

Sounds like the battery is bad and sounds like the light switch wired directly to battery instead of through the on off switch of the bike or key if it takes one.

SRAD97750

Staff member
So, legally here in CA you must have lights that remain on after the engine has been shutoff.
If you crashed you'd be laying there in the dark, after all.

But I think the battery is to blame. If a battery is used while below optimum charge, then life of the battery will be severely decreased. So if it's not at 95% charge or above, applying load can damage the battery, shortening it's life. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
So should he still get his lights/wiring checked?
That's how my lights will work when I install them on my bike.
So No. Make sure there is no drain (amps) across the battery with the switch off.
I would make sure they shut off with the switch and call it a day. Them staying on, is going to pay dividends the first time he crashes in total darkness.:thumb:-BIG DAN

So, legally here in CA you must have lights that remain on after the engine has been shutoff.
If you crashed you'd be laying there in the dark, after all.

But I think the battery is to blame. If a battery is used while below optimum charge, then life of the battery will be severely decreased. So if it's not at 95% charge or above, applying load can damage the battery, shortening it's life. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Yes it should remain on just if the engine dies but what I think he was saying is if the guys turns the kill switch off or key off the lights stay on. He has to turn the lights off as well. My four wheeler is wired to only come when the key is on but if the motor dies the lights stay on.

Ok cool. Was just a little confused because here in Australia there isnt any laws relating to the lights having to stay on, as far as I know of anyway.

i can kind of understand that law to some degree but really, the lights will only stay on while your stuck until the battery drains, what if your stuck for 2 hours? then your screwed and it defeats the purpose of that law and even if your stuck, if your stuck under the bike, the lights aren't going to do much really. ive been stuck in the bush numerous times at night times and i survived all those times. i carry 2 mobile phones that get reception with me in my backpack.
so i can kinda understand that law to some degree, the idea behind it is nice and its a good precautionary measure but at the same time, i also think part of it is unnecessary and once the battery drains, it defeats the purpose of the law. just my take on it though.

SRAD97750

Staff member
The law is only required for on-road vehicles. That "the headlights can be operated independently of the ignition system." No rules about off-road vehicles.
I'm only saying it will help out for the ~30 seconds it's takes to find and get back on the bike. If you got 'stuck' in the woods, turn off the damn light once you have actually found the bike. Nobody should let a light just drain a battery. Common sense. -BIG DAN:thumb:

yeah that's fair enough. i agree with that. i was just saying from a different point of view.
mine automatically turns off once the bike turns off anyway lol