Got some cash and it's time for a new bike

Yes, it's finally time. Been riding a XR600 since 2000.

I have one primary requirement. It's got to have a plate. I like riding gnarly singletrack, but I've been known to do 300+ mile day rides in the dez. Mountains, woods, desert, it's all good.

Not exactly sure how much I'll have to spend. I'd love to pick up a 2012 KTM 500 EXC, but I think I'll be a few k short of that 10,500-11,000 out the door price for that machine.

What about the Husky? I've not really been following it since the BMW buyout. The only stuff I've heard has not been good, but like I said I don't know. The a Beta might work. I have some possible connections to a good deal on one of those. Any other suggestions? Husaberg's are nice, but even more expensive than the KTM.

If my funds are as expected I may have to go with a few year old model.

No DRZ's or XR650L's. I need a lightweight bike. Besides I might just keep the good ole XR for the sofa like seat to do those long desert rides on.

This is a cool one, uses a 2 cam 450, with a honda bottom end
ChristiniAWD450ds.jpg

The Cristini is a possibility, but I do worry about the longevity. The price sure is right and I didn't know that they were street legal. I can't find them on the OK list for street licensing here in the people's republic. I just sent them an email for more info. :thumb:

I knew that there had to be a catch. Seems that the engine is a Chinese copy of the Honda design. If you can believe their press release the Army has a contract for some of the 450's.

Are those graphics on that Husky pink! I like the price.

Carl,
Husky=EFI No tank option on the 2011 +
KTM=EFI depending on bike.
Beta=carburator, Tank option
You know that I love my Huskies and will end up riding them to the ground but I am looking into the replacement being the Beta.
1 Reason, George at Uptite has gone from Husky to Beta Sales.
2 Beta is still Carbed and I am still on the fence about being in the boonies and not having the right part to fix it, Fuel Pump being the main...
Take a good long look at the Beta, very nice machines for sure. and less than a KTM or Husky.

I'm with Palmer on this one. I'm not a fan of fuel injection on a dirt bike yet. If you're looking used, a low hour 07 450 EXC is a good choice. Plate from the factory and the last year of the super reliable RFS motor. I've also heard good things about the Beta's.

BTW, I didn't know George went Beta. That's a shocker. That dude is a Husky encyclopdia.

what about a crf450x? yes, you would have to do alittle work to get it street legal, but i dont think it is too hard. then put on a bigger gas tank and your ready. and the bike is epa legal so riding in California's public trails will not be a problem. and its a pretty solid machine with proven durability. and the yamaha wr450 wouldnt be a bad choice either. both bike are way cheaper than the ktm. and its easy to find parts for these bikes and they are alot cheaper than the other brands. and there are alot of used ones available. have you ever heard of crfsonly.com? there are alot of people on that site who live in california with plated crf's.

what about a crf450x? yes, you would have to do alittle work to get it street legal, but i dont think it is too hard. then put on a bigger gas tank and your ready. and the bike is epa legal so riding in California's public trails will not be a problem. and its a pretty solid machine with proven durability. and the yamaha wr450 wouldnt be a bad choice either. both bike are way cheaper than the ktm. and its easy to find parts for these bikes and they are alot cheaper than the other brands. and there are alot of used ones available. have you ever heard of crfsonly.com? there are alot of people on that site who live in california with plated crf's.
not an option in cali.

Paper work and possible plate but also yanked when DMV gets smart to it.
not an option in cali.
Exactly, yes an option, but not legit...

Carl,
Husky=EFI No tank option on the 2011 +
KTM=EFI depending on bike.
Beta=carburator, Tank option
You know that I love my Huskies and will end up riding them to the ground but I am looking into the replacement being the Beta.
1 Reason, George at Uptite has gone from Husky to Beta Sales.
2 Beta is still Carbed and I am still on the fence about being in the boonies and not having the right part to fix it, Fuel Pump being the main...
Take a good long look at the Beta, very nice machines for sure. and less than a KTM or Husky.

hey palmer and for rez too... and sry cleonard i dont mean to get off topic but.... i read somewhere that the heat from the engine causes those pumps to take a shit and i heard a solution is putting that heat shield stuff under your tank.

It's not off topic. Fuel injection has it's pluses and minuses like everything else. The upside is great mileage and the same fuel mixture with altitude/temp changes. The minus is the fuel pump crapping out or the system getting clogged. I have a feeling that the clogging issue is a real issue. I've read that on the new KTM 500 that you should use a filter when you fill the tank.

One reason that the pump is in the tank on your car/truck/bike is the fuel cools the pump. Fuel injection works pretty well on street bikes.