Goggles--What do you run and why?

I have only ever used Scott 80's series goggles thatare around $20... I do have a set of smith roll offs I use for mud races but they are exactly like the Scotts. I buy the light sensitive lenses for everything and away I go. Some of my goggles are 4+ yrs old

I run Spy and Oakley. Like them both. I am looking at 100% right now as my next goggle choice.

I go back and forth with tinted lens and clear.

So what is the outcome of this thread? I have used Scotts and not Oakleys and I am still not perfectly happy with any of them as they still let dust get in my eyes when it gets nasty on the trails. I wear the style that allows me to wear my glasses underneath so I think that may be a reason. I find the best thing to do is always be in the front of the pack. :prof:

After all the banter and my research, I still don't know. At least have to by a pair with the lexan anti fog lens and dust reducing technology. Then try to find a light sensitive lens that works with that pair. Jury is still out.

I run the scott desert sand goggles... They keep the dust out great. Never seen goggles that didn't fog up in the rain or snow though... -BIG DAN:thumb:
You are right about the fog thing, but some are much better than others. I bought a cheap pair last year and they fogged like nothing else. What model?

Keeping dust out and anti fog are kinda mutually exclusive. Anti fog works best with air flow. The anti fog lenses and chemicals you can put on the inside of the lense can really only do so much. Air flow is the best "anti fog" component. But, with air flow comes dust.

The Sand version of googles are designed to keep the fine dust particle out of the interior of the goggle. They have a denser foam around the top portion on the google. Dense foam restricts the sand from entering the google, but it also restricts the air so you will get more fogging with them.

Mutually exclusive. What your trying to do is find the one that offers the best compromise. I've heard some people get the high air flowing goggles and put some Vasoline on the top foam to reduce the air flow some. I'd say get some from Palmer as I'm sure he goes to Costco to buy his as he prolly goes through a case load of that stuff being the biggest ASS we all know:smirk:

Good stuff Ken. The one I have been wearing was a combo like you said. It was called Scott Desert XI but of course not made anymore. They were awesome for both things. After some more research this morning, I have my eyes on two based on price and anti fogging, which is more important than the dust thing of course. They are Thor Ally Goggle for $48 regularly $65 or Smith Fuel V-2 sweat X also regularly $65. Don't want to buy anything cheaper than that. Have any of you had or have these and what do you think?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/717/38585/Smith-Fuel-v2-Sweat-X-Goggles-2013

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/717/37969/Thor-Ally-Goggle-2013

Am leaning towards the Thor's as they are more highly rated and I like the look better. Let me know what you guys think.