Goggles--What do you run and why?

As the title implies, I need new goggles. Bought a cheap pair about 2 months ago and they suck. Went back to my old ones that I loved and now just can't wear them anymore. Of course they are discontinued. They were called Scott 89 Desert XI's. What I liked about them were two things. One and most important was the dust/dirt filtering that kept almost all dust out of the inside. Second and not as important was the light sensitive lens. In the bright sun, it would darken like sunglasses. Close to dark and it would become clear.

So what is out there that meets these two criteria and what do you guys wear? Smith seems to make one, but can't pinpoint the exact model. HELP:noidea:

I normally run anything Scott but, a friend of mine gave me a pair of Oakley Crowbar's. They felt real good. I may buy another pair of them. They fit inside my helmet better as well. Look into Oakley googles you may find what you are looking for.

The Desert XI's were nice, but the only difference between them and the regular Scott's was the small air scoop on the top. It really didn't do much and the scoop could interfere with certain brands of helmets .
This model - http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1579/28429/Scott-Recoil-Xi-Goggle- is pretty much the same as the desert, without the scoop, and it's less than $20.
The light sensitive lenses were nice, but they scratched easily, and the suns UV rays would degrade the lens pretty quick. Pull one out of the goggles and notice the difference in color around the edge that wasn't in the sun. Nice thing about Scott is that they have a large selection of lenses. Perhaps experiment with colors you haven't tried before. I liked the Amp Rose, until I tried the blue lens, which is now my favorite.
Rocky Mountain's ARC brand lenses are compatible with regular Scott goggles, and are dirt cheap, unfortunately, it looks like clear and blue are the only colors that are available these days.

I use oakley crowbars at the moment. The only other brand i ever really used was scotts though. I didn't like how easily they scratched and the reason i made the switch to the high end oakleys was because i was tired of them fogging up. I use my oakleys for everything now, racing, trail riding, snowboarding, mountain bikeing, and dual sporting.

i run some higher end oakley's that are a couple years old now. i got em for free. i knew a guy who worked there and i traded him a turntable for em.

Oakley "O's" 40.00 bucks, 8.00 lenses and they make the shades that transform a "TOOL"! :D

Let me add: they have a good elastic strap, well vented for anti fogging but not to much for the rear dust/sweep rider and the foam around the frame is comfy. They have enough room for spectacles if you where a single vision. I think 40.00 is the max I will ever pay for goggles.

Last edited:
I have smith goggles, not overly impressed with them. I run a pair army tinted goggles on bright sunny days and my smiths on cloudy days.

I have a set of Dragons that I've had for 5+ years. A set of oakleys (not a fan) a set of SPY these are my favorite and a set of FOX jury is still out on these.