Gearing Ratios

2 years later, this is a funny thread. Whoever posted that fat chick photo should be band.

Question;
I have a new, dusty, fancy looking aftermarket sprocket set here, 15 and 43 teeth, they came extra with the KLX650.
Is this gear selection any good for a dirtbike?
Maybe mix-and-max with one of the sets I currently have?

2 years later, this is a funny thread. Whoever posted that fat chick photo should be band.

Question;
I have a new, dusty, fancy looking aftermarket sprocket set here, 15 and 43 teeth, they came extra with the KLX650.
Is this gear selection any good for a dirtbike?
Maybe mix-and-max with one of the sets I currently have?

2.86:1 that's pretty high, but if your just doing higher speed riding or fire roads it would be ok, doing any woods or slow speed riding or hills would be less than ideal.

I'm trying to figure out what I might use it for.
I have a KX250F that I intend to ride only at the track, it needs a rear sprocket. It currently has a 12 tooth front sprocket, so if installed 43/12 = 3.583. Not sure I should drop that much though.

Last edited:
I have a KX250F that I intend to ride only at the track, it needs a rear sprocket. It currently has a 12 tooth front sprocket, so if installed 43/12 = 3.583. Not sure I should drop that much though.

Try it,while its a bit taller than stock it may suit you. I believe 13/48 3.69:1 is stock so your not far off.

I believe stock gearing is perfect foes that bike in MX situations.

I believe stock gearing is perfect foes that bike in MX situations.
I assume that as well. And I'm really hoping this KX will be a good bike for me. But I just spent 700 bucks on the lower end, am eyeballing another 4-5 with the head, and I havent even touched or looked at the carb yet. So I am looking to cut costs wherever possible, and this chain and sprockets are just sitting here collecting dust.
I think dude before me said he was gonna turn the KLX into a super-motard. I suppose I could buy some street tires and throw it all on it like he planned. Have the wheels blacked out...

Last edited:
I assume that as well. And I'm really hoping this KX will be a good bike for me. But I just spent 700 bucks on the lower end, am eyeballing another 4-5 with the head, and I havent even touched or looked at the carb yet. So I am looking to cut costs wherever possible, and this chain and sprockets are just sitting here collecting dust.
I think dude before me said he was gonna turn the KLX into a super-motard. I suppose I could buy some street tires and throw it all on it like he planned. Have the wheels blacked out...

Primary drive makes an awesome chain and sprocket kit for cheap.

I've heard the sprockets are good, chains arent

I have used the chains on all of my 2 strokes with no issues. I think Lukes RMZ has one as well but I have heard nothing from 450 riders. I think tats where the real torque values should come from.

I have used the chains on all of my 2 strokes with no issues. I think Lukes RMZ has one as well but I have heard nothing from 450 riders. I think tats where the real torque values should come from.
I think I bought a set a long time ago for the wr250f, its still on there, I haven't actually put them on a 450, so I only know what I hear in the pits.
I most generally use sunstar on all of my stuff due to availability/price