Gearing Ratios

hey guys, I broke out my KDX220 (2005) yesterday to get it ready for another class in a Hare scrambles race, racing my KTM 250xcw and the KDX. anyway, second gear feels too short and third gear feels too tall. too much shifting in tight woods. front sprocket is 13 tooth and rear is 47. stock is 12 and 47 I believe the gear ratio I have now is 3.61 (13/47) it was 3.91 (12/47) I think. Any of you guys have any suggestion how to remedy the situation? Any gearing suggestions? I have a 14 and 15 front and a 49 and 52 rear I could use if they will help (extra sprockets).

hey guys, I broke out my KDX220 (2005) yesterday to get it ready for another class in a Hare scrambles race, racing my KTM 250xcw and the KDX. anyway, second gear feels too short and third gear feels too tall. too much shifting in tight woods. front sprocket is 13 tooth and rear is 47. stock is 12 and 47 I believe the gear ratio I have now is 3.61 (13/47) it was 3.91 (12/47) I think. Any of you guys have any suggestion how to remedy the situation? Any gearing suggestions? I have a 14 and 15 front and a 49 and 52 rear I could use if they will help (extra sprockets).

Not sure there is a good answer for you, but I personally would go with the lower gearing or the 3.91:1 simply because I'd rather shift more often than lug the motor regularly. This is just a thought but if you stayed with the 3:61 set up and maybe extra weight on the flywheel which may make 3rd feel not as tall since you'd have more flywheel inertia, but don't know how much weight I'd add, probably have to experiment with that.

You're fine,
Run faster in third gear and you'll never need 2nd, but if it's that annoying then go 2teeth up in the rear so you can pull 3rd easier. If the coarse has a lot of fast open areas then go up 1 in the front and pull 2nd gear all day through the trees.