Gas ratio

CR500's don't need no stinking "pussy valves". Christ I have to shut this thing off, Floyd is mumbling something about pussy valves not stinking if you are a real man, and then it sounded like he said he missed jail. Maybe it was jailbait?

CR500's don't need no stinking "pussy valves". Christ I have to shut this thing off, Floyd is mumbling something about pussy valves not stinking if you are a real man, and then it sounded like he said he missed jail. Maybe it was jailbait?
Where the Pv is nice to have in my opinion is in a tighter slower softer section yet in a little bit taller gear! I call it "burpability"
I also like a heavier flywheel with big bores

Funny thing on flywheels. We put some added weights on several over time. Same profile seemed to be workable on 80's to 500 cc two strokes. I didnt actually like my cr500 with one. If it had been my only bike at the time, it sure would have made long rides easier. They make power so low it does keep the front wheel down more, but it kind of took away the reason I had a 500 to start with. Heck, we have had the 40 oz version on 85cc bikes, and kx100's. most of the time they went on 250's. But for short track work, I love heavy crankshafts and flywheels you need help mounting.

Funny thing on flywheels. We put some added weights on several over time. Same profile seemed to be workable on 80's to 500 cc two strokes. I didnt actually like my cr500 with one. If it had been my only bike at the time, it sure would have made long rides easier. They make power so low it does keep the front wheel down more, but it kind of took away the reason I had a 500 to start with. Heck, we have had the 40 oz version on 85cc bikes, and kx100's. most of the time they went on 250's. But for short track work, I love heavy crankshafts and flywheels you need help mounting.
Yes, I usually put weights on all my bikes as well. If I were just moto cross I wouldn't.

The cr is a light switch anyway!

Yes, I usually put weights on all my bikes as well. If I were just moto cross I wouldn't.
Do u remember a guy w a cr500, I think an 86. I forget his name but he ran that dbl counter sprocket thing that I never really understood. Anyways!!! He was stating how his bike had never lost a drag race with a 500 of any brand! I told him to face the reaper! We made at least 5 runs from a stand still. Each run we cleaned up and got better! The last two runs I was doing 4th gear starts! We tied each and every run! A good memory of Sutten back in 93 or 94! (05 cent knows him)

Last edited:
one with a lengthened swingarm if I recall. If it is the same guy, his son liked telling people that his father got third novice at the widow maker on that rig. If its the same, guy I ran into him at sutton too. Didn't exactly drag race unless you would call it the run up to the "climbing hill" as some call it. His probably only worked really, really well, in "real" drag races. I guess we didn't have one of those. Anyway he quit saying the 86's were the last of the best cylinders, around me anyway. Probably a different guy though.

We had a close to 40 oz added flywheel weight on Gene's cr250. I think one of Dan Nichol's friends ended up with the bike come to think of it. Anyway, Gene at an age way past retirement used to drag guys on mx bikes. His own son just out of the Marines bought a kx 250 and told his dad what kind of toast it would make of the old CR. They had a "real" drag race. Being able to keep the front end down and hookup beats looking flashy when you are side by side.

one with a lengthened swingarm if I recall. If it is the same guy, his son liked telling people that his father got third novice at the widow maker on that rig. If its the same, guy I ran into him at sutton too. Didn't exactly drag race unless you would call it the run up to the "climbing hill" as some call it. His probably only worked really, really well, in "real" drag races. I guess we didn't have one of those. Anyway he quit saying the 86's were the last of the best cylinders, around me anyway. Probably a different guy though.

We had a close to 40 oz added flywheel weight on Gene's cr250. I think one of Dan Nichol's friends ended up with the bike come to think of it. Anyway, Gene at an age way past retirement used to drag guys on mx bikes. His own son just out of the Marines bought a kx 250 and told his dad what kind of toast it would make of the old CR. They had a "real" drag race. Being able to keep the front end down and hookup beats looking flashy when you are side by side.
That's the guy! I recall the widow maker story! I know Nicol had a cr 250 w like a 5lb flywheel that he called the sowing machine

From my understanding, the 85,86 cr500's were the most outrages due to cyl head only