Fuel Quality

I've noticed that fuel quality in the past few years is not what it once was. It gums up much quicker than before even when adding stabilizer. Besides the obvious remedy of turning off the fuel switch and running the engine until all remaining fuel is burnt up, what do you do to alleviate this poor quality fuel issue? If you have a carburetor or a fuel injected bike or ATV what do you do? Do you run with any additives or cleaners?

I'm in So Cal and our "gasoline" is a witches brew designed to reduce smog. It's not the same as it used to be and can cause all sorts of problems if allowed to sit in a carb. Never had an issue with the gas in the tank though. On the last ride before the bike goes in the garage I run the carb dry every time.

As far as I can tell the problem is related to the gas evaporating and/or reacting with the air. This should not be as much of an issue in a fuel injected system since it can't evaporate the same way.

On my bike (FI) I run a gas tank sock to help catch any junk in the fuel. I also try and run the bike every couple weeks even it's just around the block quick. And lastly I change out my inline fuel filter often to maintain a crisp instant response throttle.

A few years ago I did a little write up on fuel quality and its effects on small engines. If you are going to use pump then add liberal amounts of Marine Stabil. I found that to be the best additive for pump gas. Most recently I quite using pump fuel all together and run race gas only in all of my bikes and when available I run 100ll from the airport. Even when I mix it 50/50 I have had issues with the pump fuel here in NJ.

I add Marvle Mystry Oil and Stabil to premium pump gas on occasion. Also Sunoco race gas 4:1, in addition to all that, I run a carb filter that ties all the vent lines together to keep the carb clean from sucking in fine dust. I have not had a gum up problem at all.

Zero problems on my FI bike as well.

Never buy fuel from a small place. Always get fuel from the most busiest place. They have the freshest fuel. Never buy fuel when they are getting fuel pumped into their tanks. I always run Shell fuel. My boat always seemed to like it the best.So i run it in everything.And i also run Sea Foam, In everything i own.

I also hear that Lucas has good fuel additive. I use it sometimes when i can't get my hands on sea foam.

you know its just the fuel today. Here in CA when it dries up it leaves a white-crusty residue that is hard. Is a bad thing for small motors like weed eaters. They have such small orifices that it plugs em up solid. An oil or some form of additive helps. I always run mine til it dies or run more often if its that time of year.

A few years ago I did a little write up on fuel quality and its effects on small engines. If you are going to use pump then add liberal amounts of Marine Stabil. I found that to be the best additive for pump gas. Most recently I quite using pump fuel all together and run race gas only in all of my bikes and when available I run 100ll from the airport. Even when I mix it 50/50 I have had issues with the pump fuel here in NJ.
You should never run Aviation fuel in a dirtbike! Just about every moto magazine has had articles on reasons why you should never run Aviation fuel.! Its a waits of money and does more harm than good. Go to MXA, DirtRider and DirtBike mag and do the reasearch. They will clear it all up for you. The only gas you should use is 89 or higher octane rated gas. If you still have issues, mix it with Race gas designed for offroad use and offroad use only 50/50. It will last longer and save you more money than waisting money on Aviation gas.

You should never run Aviation fuel in a dirtbike! Just about every moto magazine has had articles on reasons why you should never run Aviation fuel.! Its a waits of money and does more harm than good. Go to MXA, DirtRider and DirtBike mag and do the reasearch. They will clear it all up for you. The only gas you should use is 89 or higher octane rated gas. If you still have issues, mix it with Race gas designed for offroad use and offroad use only 50/50. It will last longer and save you more money than waisting money on Aviation gas.

I spent some time doing my research spoke to several petroleum engineers and chemists. While my research is outdated now the end result was/ is that while aviation is not the optimal choice it's still of better quality than pump. Couple the aviation fuel with subtle additive terothol (?) and you'll have an optimal race fuel even though it wouldn't be legal for pro AMA events. Across the board I'll agree that race fuel is the better choice if non ethanol fuel isn't available. Even then I'm skeptical of modern pump gas quality.

Its best to buy staight from VP or other race gas companies directly I guess. Even though I buy from my local bike shop. Just so you know VP's U4.4 works AWSOME in stock engines.! They say that VP's MRX02 works better in modified engines. I will try it when I port my cylinder and rifle bore my carb.

Always ran pump here. 91 in the 250f's, 87 in the 650r and anything in the 2 strokes. Ijust use a bit of seafoam if the bikes are going to sit a while.