FLU Shots 2014

I may get the flu every 3 to 5 years. I don't take antibiotics or go to the doctor. I may take some aspirin or some over the counter meds to help with the suffering but I know they are not treating the illness. I just let it run its course. I rarely ever even go to the doctor. Over all I am pretty healthy. I will not get one just for the simple fact that I see people get the flu shot and still end up getting sick. So then what's the point? They Claim its a different strand of virus than what they got a shot for. So then its all a crap shoot what shot you get will actually treat the virus going around. :noidea: In the end if you're very young or very old then get one if your doctor tells you too. :prof:
Ok, got it. To address your next statement of "what's the point". The point is you can lessen the odds of getting the flu, it's really as simple as that. The flu puts a hugh strain on your body, and not the type that it will be stronger for in the long run. Losing the fluids the way the body does with the flu is hard on the system.

Again, personal preferance, but it should be an educated one. Just don't lose a motorcycle riding weekend because of a toilet riding weekend:smirk:

I beleive the flu shot actually gives you a type of virouse. To make your ammune system fight it and get stronger. If your ammune system is to weak to handle the virouse it gives you, you will get sick. I think that is what it does. It jump starts your ammune system. :noidea:

I beleive the flu shot actually gives you a type of virouse. To make your ammune system fight it and get stronger. If your ammune system is to weak to handle the virouse it gives you, you will get sick. I think that is what it does. It jump starts your ammune system. :noidea:
Kinda sorta. It helps your body develop antibodies to fight off the flu virus. The vaccine is based on what virus they think will be most dominate that year.

I get them, my son gets them and my wife gets them and none of us has been sick for years. Maybe it has nothing to do with it but it is a precaution that is really quite simple. It is a vaccine that can not do you any harm. You would not want to not get the polio vaccine just because you feel your body should fight this thing off would you? The latest versions have something in there to fight the swine flu also but you need to get them at least twice in 2 years which means I got that covered. I sure don't want to get some pig flu.

Vaccine's are just like about anything else. There are good sides and down sides. The good side is obvious, it provides protection. It's never 100%. I think the flu vaccine is about 80% to 85% effective. The down sides are much rarer and are mainly bad reactions to any of the components of the vaccine. The immune response to the shot can be large. That is the source of many of the "I got sick after getting the shot" type of reports. In unusual cases the bad reaction can do major damage. I do not buy into the whole autism thing at all. I believe the studies and they do show a small downside.

Don't forget that the flu is no joke. It kills a lot of people every year. It does at least some long term damage when you get it. Few get the flu every year even if they report something different. If I remember correctly the estimate is that on average a person will get the flu every 8 years or so. That about correct for me.

It's all about probabilities. In general for most people you are statically better off to get the shot.

I think that I lost the flu lottery this year. Got the shot, but I think I get the flu. It was not a severe as a normal bout of the flu though. For the first couple of days I just thought that I had a cold. It wasn't until day three that I was really sick. Worked for my wife though since she didn't get it.

I'll keep getting them.

Ive gotten them every year for 20 yrs or so. They are free thru my insurance. With the constant contact with lots of people hand to hand in my job, and them being mostly lower end, it seems the thing to do. I have only had the flu a handful of times thru the years so I feel they do work.