Listen you’ll never hear me say that a YZ 250 isn’t a great bike, but yet you’re suggesting that a beginner with zero experience get a YZ 250? That’s like saying for your first car a 700hp mustang should do nicely.
Not even close John. Try your first vehicles being 52 GMC pickup 4 speed, then a 48 chevy 3 on the tree, into a 67 2 door Nova.
I have 2 good friends that started on YZ250's without any experience. They are both riding 500 KTM's now. I thought it a bad idea at first also, but it's discipline to the right hand that makes you learn. And a YZ250 is an easy bike to ride if you don't whiskey.

125 2 stroke it is. I guess if I catch on it quick I could always sell it and upgrade anyway.
:bonk:
You think that because the YZ125 is a smaller cc and easier to control? Exact opposite, the 125 will put you on your ass, is a lot harder to ride than a YZ250. A YZ125 needs to be on the pipe ALL THE TIME, and a YZ250 can be putt around as it is way more forgiving. Although if you do go with the YZ125, because it is so squirley, it will make you a better rider after you heal overtime from visits to the ER. :thinking:

Not even close John. Try your first vehicles being 52 GMC pickup 4 speed, then a 48 chevy 3 on the tree, into a 67 2 door Nova.
I have 2 good friends that started on YZ250's without any experience. They are both riding 500 KTM's now. I thought it a bad idea at first also, but it's discipline to the right hand that makes you learn. And a YZ250 is an easy bike to ride if you don't whiskey.

:bonk:
You think that because the YZ125 is a smaller cc and easier to control? Exact opposite, the 125 will put you on your ass, is a lot harder to ride than a YZ250. A YZ125 needs to be on the pipe ALL THE TIME, and a YZ250 can be putt around as it is way more forgiving. Although if you do go with the YZ125, because it is so squirley, it will make you a better rider after you heal overtime from visits to the ER. :thinking:

The Yz250 is an easier bike to ride. A flywheel weight would probably help make it more linear and even easier to ride. At 220 and 27yrs old a 125 would have to scream to pull him around. If he spends 2 days on a cousins bike like a ttr or xr with a clutch then the 250 would be an easy transfer.

Agree with that 100% a 125 with less power and narrow powerband is a more technical ride than the 250t.

Whatever bike you get as a beginner doesn’t matter as much as the willingness to ride it.

The Yz250 is an easier bike to ride. A flywheel weight would probably help make it more linear and even easier to ride. At 220 and 27yrs old a 125 would have to scream to pull him around. If he spends 2 days on a cousins bike like a ttr or xr with a clutch then the 250 would be an easy transfer.

OMG you said (BOLD) wait until bRad sees that.. :smirk:

OP, very true, that is why I recommend it, you can ride that bike forever, and fix it for real cheep in your garage.

I actually looked at a TTR-230 this morning. What do you think about learning on that

That’s a great beginner bike with enough power to keep you going for a few years.... however it is a trail bike and it’s limited in its ability to jump and handle Serious mx tracks. I would run it for a season then step up to a yz250 ASAP.

OMG you said (BOLD) wait until bRad sees that.. :smirk:

OP, very true, that is why I recommend it, you can ride that bike forever, and fix it for real cheep in your garage.

I would only recommend that to a beginner or someone looking to tone down there motor for a smoother trail ride.

I actually looked at a TTR-230 this morning. What do you think about learning on that
Boring! Even as a beginner you will be bored to tears in a hours, not years, months, weeks, days, but HOURS! Sure I ride the little CRF230F I have had since new, but I want off it as soon as I go 20'. Had to ride it 12 miles back to the truck when my daughter blew up my 250 (she didn't is was just time to go, and she was riding it). That was a brutal 12 miles, and I would have rather stayed at the bar and drank but somehow she talked me into it with, "daddy, you are the faster rider, blah, blah, blah." So she stayed at the bar and drank..
I would only recommend that to a beginner or someone looking to tone down there motor for a smoother trail ride.
Exactly, as I mentioned to bRad about the 9, 11, 13 oz.
Oh, and please notice how many of the "PRO" hard enduro riders use a FWW, and a Rekluse... :moon:

Boring! Even as a beginner you will be bored to tears in a hours, not years, months, weeks, days, but HOURS! Sure I ride the little CRF230F I have had since new, but I want off it as soon as I go 20'. Had to ride it 12 miles back to the truck when my daughter blew up my 250 (she didn't is was just time to go, and she was riding it). That was a brutal 12 miles, and I would have rather stayed at the bar and drank but somehow she talked me into it with, "daddy, you are the faster rider, blah, blah, blah." So she stayed at the bar and drank..

Exactly, as I mentioned to bRad about the 9, 11, 13 oz.
Oh, and please notice how many of the "PRO" hard enduro riders use a FWW, and a Rekluse... :moon:

blah blah blah (insert image of Ron Jeremy running around in a speedo and flip flops swinging a stick and smashing pallets *HERE*) :smirk:
you suck balls.

Last edited: