Ebay SS Oilfilter

James

Staff member
2 or 3 hours? I've been on rides where I would have to change the oil several times in ONE day. More seriously, I would let those filters go a few oil changes if you are changing it that often. Perhaps even every third or fourth time. What does the book say for oil change interval?

I remember some pretty crazy maintenance numbers on the MX bikes. Things like 15 hour piston life. I mean give me a break, that's insane. I suppose if you ride the rev limiter like Barcia it could be true.
:lol: Yup my manual says replace piston and piston rings every 6 races or 15 hours. :shocked: And also replace engine oil and oil filter every 6 races or 15 hours. Ummm right....:lol:

Granted I probably change it a little early, however I'm running the Rotela oil and at $2.70 a quart I don't mind the extra insurance. Plus like I told 530ktm, motocross tends to be harder on engines (thanks to higher RPMs).

BTW here's a picture of old vs new oil (changed after 2.5 hours).

IMG_20110816_204126.jpg

:lol: Yup my manual says replace piston and piston rings every 6 races or 15 hours. :shocked: And also replace engine oil and oil filter every 6 races or 15 hours. Ummm right....:lol:

Granted I probably change it a little early, however I'm running the Rotela oil and at $2.70 a quart I don't mind the extra insurance. Plus like I told 530ktm, motocross tends to be harder on engines (thanks to higher RPMs).

View attachment 4405
Seems like a waist... but do as you please.... I would change it no more than 8 engine hrs....:devil:

James

Staff member
Seems like a waist... but do as you please.... I would change it no more than 8 engine hrs....:devil:
If the oil looked the same going in as coming out, then yeah I would be going much longer between changes. Also like I'd mentioned before, I'm not using a motorcycle specific oil. :thumb:

Also like I'd mentioned before, I'm not using a motorcycle specific oil. :thumb:

Actually Shell went and got the JASO-MA rating for the Rotella. That makes it just as motorcycle specific as most other "motorcycle oils."

There are actually two parts to the changing oil debate. The first is the mechanical that everyone seems to exclusively focus on. After three hours the oil is very likely still quite serviceable. The color is not an indication that it's worn out. The second is psychological. The last thing you need when hitting the big jump is worrying about the oil in your engine. If it makes you feel better to change it go ahead. It sure will not hurt anything.

Hey I've changed my oil after one ride more than once. I was trying to make up for severe bike abuse. :banana::banana::banana:

If the oil looked the same going in as coming out, then yeah I would be going much longer between changes. Also like I'd mentioned before, I'm not using a motorcycle specific oil. :thumb:

dont wanna pull one of theses? :smirk:
167761_180283828656587_100000249139115_590689_8094314_n.jpg

James

Staff member
Actually Shell went and got the JASO-MA rating for the Rotella. That makes it just as motorcycle specific as most other "motorcycle oils."
:thumb: Did not know that. So $2.70 per quart (Rotella T) compared to $11 per quart (Bel Ray) pretty much ends the which-oil-to-get debate, right? :smirk:

BTW you were referring to this oil right?
Rotella T 15W-40
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2850014
dont wanna pull one of theses? :smirk:
167761_180283828656587_100000249139115_590689_8094314_n.jpg
:shocked: Damn!

After three hours the oil is very likely still quite serviceable. The color is not an indication that it's worn out.
This is true, oil can get dirty looking after an hour of running which does not mean it is worn out. However, it is never going to do any harm to change the oil more than necessary, maybe on the wallet though. :thinking:

:
BTW you were referring to this oil right?
Rotella T 15W-40

Yep, that one. The 15W-40 got the JASO-MA first and I think that the 5W-40 syn version got it a few months later. Take a close look at the bottle as they put it on there in small print. At least the last gallon of Rotella that I bought had it on there.

Yep, that one. The 15W-40 got the JASO-MA first and I think that the 5W-40 syn version got it a few months later. Take a close look at the bottle as they put it on there in small print. At least the last gallon of Rotella that I bought had it on there.

:thinking: I just bought two 2.5 gallons of it the other day to change my oil in truck, I will have to look as that :thumb:

and go figure buying a 5gal container was a $1 more :noidea:

SS oil filters were designed for high performance motors, to eliminate 2 or even 4 paper filters, do to flow restriction.
The concept caught on, and eventually they were marketed as 'lifetime- reusable' filters to the MC industry.
The ONLY good reason to use a SS filter is for oil flow, which is pitiful and wimpy on all of our bikes, and therefore not needed.
The BAD reason to use one is that it passes up to 35 micron particles, which are as large as a house.

View attachment 4405

Sometimes.

Definitely not true if you do HS's or desert race.

:thumb: