DUAL VS. SINGLE

If i had dual pipes, i would be getting a single pipe ASAP.They look hideous. Programmer would probably be first.
I'd ride the dual pipes till I wrecked them, then I'd single it out, the duals add more weight, improve the balance a little, but reduce overall exhaust flow and hurt the power a little. All of which isn't very likely to be noticed by most people. :/

Why are you so "anti-pipe"? Modifying the dirt bike might be half the fun for him. Like my, I can't keep anything stock.

I don't think I have one two stroke with stock porting and I have more than ten. My only bike with stock cam timing is my klr 650 and those are degreed cams. I have cut pipes, stretched ones, and ones with different diameters of stingers. So yeah, I like a modified bike too. Most people's idea of a modified bike is one that has some stuff bolted onto it. It is good for the industry of course. Not much for learning.

Snow hit it on the head for me, except for his cam choice. Pressed on gears that you can't "degree" are not for me, thus my crf250 got that changed. All that work including an ice cube oversized cylinder was very little more than buying a complete new exhaust.

Last edited:
I didn't know they made cam's that weren't pressed gears for the CRF250, or any of the dirt bikes for that matter, only company that might make one that I'm aware of is Yoshimura and those are pricy.

webb and megacycle to name two on the crf 250. the crf450's i have been involved with have removeable gears as do most of the 4 strokes since honda quit casting the xr600's and rfvc 500's with the gear and cam in one. the jury is still out for me on the twin pipe arrangement. if i bought it, i would as you say ride it til it got wrecked most likely. for this one i havent seen anything to show that honda did add any weight or lose any power over their single of the past. if i really didnt like it on the 'hideous' scale I wouldn't have bought it, but since the owner indicates he likes that it is a moot point.

Last edited:
You have to consider the back-pressure lost if going from 1 to 2 pipes and how that will affect the performance... My buddy the Muffler Man (cars/trucks) always talks everyone out of duals because it will affect the performance of the vehicle. Hot Rods with duals are tuned accordingly... same with bikes from the factory.

Last edited:
You have to consider the back-pressure lost if going from 1 to 2 pipes and how that will affect the performance... My buddy the Muffler Man (cars/trucks) always talks everyone out of duals because it will affect the performance of the vehicle. Hot Rods with duals are tuned accordingly... same with bikes fro mthe factory.
What, your not going to go AR and edit that? :picard:

You have to consider the back-pressure lost if going from 1 to 2 pipes and how that will affect the performance... My buddy the Muffler Man (cars/trucks) always talks everyone out of duals because it will affect the performance of the vehicle. Hot Rods with duals are tuned accordingly... same with bikes fro mthe factory.

Back pressure is not exactly the issue. Your muffler man may not realize that you can design a system with two mufflers that will flow the same way that one will, and the converse. I agree with your friend that simply adding a pipe may upset what was already there as far as the header goes. But Designed from the ground up there isn't any reason it won't work. I am sure Honda has more than one engineer that did some work on this one. My guess is that you are going to see everyone that isn't running the head turned around from traditional working on this again.

Last edited:
Back pressure is not exactly the issue. Your muffler man may not realize that you can design a system with two mufflers that will flow the same way that one will, and the converse. I agree with your friend that simply adding a pipe may upset what was already there as far as the header goes. But Designed from the ground up there isn't any reason it won't work. I am sure Honda has more than one engineer that did some work on this one. My guess is that you are going to see everyone that isn't running the head turned around from traditional working on this again.

Pretty much what I meant by saying "tuned accordingly"... wrong choice of words.

No, I see it now. Half a change usually doesn't work, and that is what I am hearing your exhaust builder say now.

Right, you'll get the sound you want however at what expense? You will also need to make necessary adjustments (whatever they might be) to the engine that might be affected by reducing backpressure.

I was talking to a ex team Suzuki mechanic the other day, and he said the aftermarket companies would clone stock pipes and run their logos on them for mx and sx because the oem design was so good

Last edited: